Transparency International Programme Officer (Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre) Job in Nyanza / Western, Kenya 2013
Vacancy: Programme Officer
Reference: Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre, Nyanza/Western
Duty Station: Nyanza / Western Kenya
Transparency International-Kenya (TI-Kenya) is part of the Transparency International group that is a non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corrupt free world.
TI-Kenya is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a global coalition against corruption with which we share the knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
TI-Kenya in collaboration with partners in Nairobi, Coast, and North Rift regions has established Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres (ALACs) as a strategic initiative aimed at empowering citizens to actively participate in the fight against corruption.
The Western and Nyanza ALAC is currently being set up.
In partnership with like minded CSOs groups, TI-Kenya through ALAC’s –carry out the following functions:
- Promote legal advice and assistance to victims or witnesses of corruption through partnership with legal aid organisations
- Enhance citizen’s access to legal services through information, education and communication support
- Undertake advocacy on a broader anti-corruption reform agenda
- Enhance institutional capacity in complaint assessment and processing to enable citizens pursue corrupt-related issues.
To accomplish these, TI-Kenya plans to hire a Programme Officer in charge of its ALAC office in Western and Nyanza regions in Kenya. The Programme Officer is expected to undertake the following responsibilities:
- Coordinate and promote good governance campaign in the Nyanza/Western Kenya region,
- Develop and implement strategies to promote citizen engagement and empowerment in the fight against corruption.
- Oversee and coordinate all aspects of an Advocacy and Legal Advice Centre (ALAC) in the Western and Nyanza regions including administration, institutionalisation, staffing and resource mobilisation
- Coordinate and offer leadership to a network of CSOs working within the Western and Nyanza region towards promoting good governance and corruption prevention
- Design and implement outreach initiatives on good governance and corruption prevention targeting communities around the Western/Nyanza region and its environs
- Manage and offer strategic leadership to a Citizen Complaints project.
- Act as main contact point for other stakeholders on issues of common interest on the ALAC activities in the Western and Nyanza region.
- Coordinate documentation of all ALAC activities in the region
- Support the Citizen Demand Programme Coordinator and other ALAC’s Programme Officers to produce awareness materials for ALAC publicity campaigns
- Raise awareness of ALAC project to the public and stakeholders in the region
- In liaison with the Research Officer, facilitate research activities on ALAC, including surveys.
- Ensure efficient and effective implementation of the project including monitoring, evaluating and reporting of ALAC activities
- Ensure efficiency and accuracy of filing systems and coordinate other information management systems relating to the ALAC activities in the Western and Nyanza region.
- Ensure proper synergies between ALAC activities and other TI-Kenya programmes and departments
- Facilitate production of ALAC project reports and documentation of ALAC activities in the Western and Nyanza region.
- Closely liaise with partner institutions and track progress on complaints handed over to them
- Contribute to TI-Kenya overall strategic plan implementation and Citizen Demand Programme in specific
- Mobilise resources through researching and targeting trusts, donors, foundations whose criteria match the project and activities and subsequently developing quality project proposals
- Establish office and document requirements for premises and ensuring that the premises provide sufficient capacity for the project
- Degree in Law from a recognized university.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya
- Qualification in project management will be an added advantage
Skills and Experience
- Minimum four (4) years experience in a similar environment
- Excellent public speaking, communication and interpersonal skills
- Excellent writing and analytical skills
- Computer Literacy (word processing, spreadsheets, database management)
- Able to work effectively within a team and work with minimum supervision
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit one document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least three professional referees) by email on/before close of business on 15th January 2013 to:
Please include the reference: Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre, Nyanza and Western as the subject of your email applications.
Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
Candidates from Western & Nyanza are encouraged to apply.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.