Transparency International Deputy Programme Officer (Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre) Job in Nairobi Kenya 2013
Vacancy: Deputy Programme Officer
Reference: Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre, Nairobi
Duty Station: Nairobi
Transparency International-Kenya (TI-Kenya) is part of the Transparency International movement that is a non-partisan coalition of individuals with a shared vision of a corrupt free world.
TI-Kenya is an autonomous chapter in the Transparency International movement, a global coalition against corruption with which we share knowledge and exchange ideas for the greater good of Kenya.
TI-Kenya, in collaboration with partners in Nairobi, Coast, Western/Nyanza and North Rift regions has established Advocacy and Legal Advice Centres (ALACs) as a strategic initiative aimed at empowering citizens to actively participate in the fight against corruption.
TI-Kenya through the ALACs – carries out the following functions:
- Promote legal advice and assistance to victims or witnesses of corruption through provision of free and confidential advice on corruption cases, advice on formulation, development, presentation and monitoring of corruption-related complaints and partnership with legal aid organisations for referrals and follow up.
- Enhance citizen’s access to legal services through information, education and communication support.
- Undertake advocacy on a broader anti-corruption reform agenda
- Enhance institutional capacity in complaint assessment and processing to enable citizens pursue corruption-related issues.
- Support the work and sustainability of good governance coalitions in the regions.
In addition, ALACs forms the core business of TI-Kenya’s Citizen Demand Programme that seeks to ssupport citizens to proactively demand for transparency and good governance.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer-ALAC Nairobi, the Deputy Programme Officer will provide support in the implementation of ALAC Nairobi activities towards achievement of the overall Citizen Demand Programme objectives and TI Kenya’s strategic plan.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Take up roles assigned by the Programme Officer to assist in the coordination, management of ALAC Nairobi programmes/projects, administration, logistical tasks, documentation and liaison with other TI Kenya staff.
- Receive & book appointments for clients, Conduct initial interviews and where appropriate provide legal advice, make records of complaint calls, make referrals and follow up of clients cases and the overall management of ALAC Nairobi data base.
- Provide support on TI Kenya website updates by highlighting ALAC Nairobi activities
- Assist the Programme Officer in designing and implementing outreach initiatives on good governance and corruption prevention targeting communities around the Nairobi region and its environs;
- Providing the Programme Officer with technical support in planning meetings, workshops and seminars including the preparation of meeting documents, agendas, IEC materials and reports for the CD Programme.
- Develop and implement a community mobilization and empowerment strategy to enable community groups to promote transparent and accountable institutions locally and nationally;
- Develop effective local community organization resources and learning materials and effective strategies to be used in advocacy work;
- Provide support to the Programme Officer in defining sub – programmes priorities and objectives advised by the regional dynamics;
Management of TI-Kenya Partners/partnerships
- Work with the Programme Officer to raise awareness of ALAC Nairobi project to the public and stakeholders in the region
- Build sustainable partnerships with community groups and other development actors in order to ensure that transparency and accountability issues are mainstreamed into local and national social-economic and development programmes.
- Assist with the development of a participatory results and impact tracking system for ALAC Nairobi initiative.
- Assist in the documentation of information based on the Citizen Demand Programme and ALAC Nairobi.
- Provide technical support to the Programme Officer in researching for and developing exceptional proposals and/or concepts for financial support and sustainability of the sub–programme.
- Degree in social science from a recognized University
- At least two years relevant work experience with an emphasis on legal aid set up and community engagement
- Experience in project management will be an added advantage
- Proven experience in community mobilization and demonstrate interest in anticorruption sector.
- Familiarity with advocacy and communications strategies and tools
- Result oriented, team player and self motivated
- Ability to multi-task, with tight deadlines/schedules and attention to detail.
- Excellent Writing, Research, Communication and interpersonal and skills
How to apply
Interested and qualified candidates are requested to submit one document as an attachment (combining the application letter and CV with at least three professional referees) by email on/before close of business on 15th January 2013 to:
Please include the reference: Advocacy and Legal Advisory Centre, Nairobi as the subject of your email applications.
Do not attach your testimonials or certificates.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.