Omega Foundation Economic Empowerment Officer Job in Homa Bay Kenya 2013
Title: Economic Empowerment Officer
Reports To: Project Coordinator
Location: Homa Bay
Closing Date: 15th January, 2013
Main Purpose and Scope
Main duties and responsibilities
- Support Omega Foundation affiliated support groups, CBOs and individuals in the identification of economic opportunities within their operating environment
- Facilitate entrepreneurship skills transfer for program staff, partners, affiliates and stakeholders through trainings and other necessary means.
- Working closely with Project Coordinator, Programs Manager and Program Officers, develop a strategy for identifying and building the capacity of Omega Foundation Staff, Partners and other Stakeholders on economic empowerment issues.
- Provide technical support to staff of affiliates to ensure quality and timely implementation of all program activities;
- Initiate linkage to micro-finance and other lending institutions for enterprise sustainability
- Work closely with advocacy department at OF to mount lobby and advocacy initiatives targeting microfinance and other lending institutions for friendlier loaning services to CBOs, Support groups and individual enterprises.
- Maintain contacts with concerned governmental institutions as appropriate, and develop regular contact with NGOs and Micro-finance institutions working with the economic empowerment program sector.
- Preparation of timely monthly, quarterly and end of year reports for the program; develop work plans, project briefs, case stories and other documentation that will result into quality reporting, profiling and lessons sharing for enhancing the program strategy.
- Facilitate the development, preparation and review of entrepreneurship training materials as appropriate (handouts, exercises, presentations etc.)
- Through regular needs assessment targeting OF supported schools and other OVC institutions, identify potential IGA opportunities for funding to ensure program sustainability.
- Ensure gender sensitivity of all economic empowerment program design and activities
- Promote sharing of ideas and lessons learned across regions in order to generate and document “best practices” that can be applied in fieldwork.
- Represent Omega Foundation at various program wide meetings including those with donors, government and/or NGOs.
- Bachelors’ degree or Diploma level education in Business Management /Entrepreneurship studies, Social work and or community development.
- At least 2 years of experience in community development preferably in the field of enterprise development
- Knowledge and experience with NGO operations and community-based programming.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, especially with community-based groups.
- Knowledge and Use of computer (Ms Office).
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and as part of a team is essential.
- Must demonstrate sound training expertise and skills in a cross-cultural setting
- In depth knowledge of economic empowerment programs and approaches.
- Proven success and a track record integrating and harmonizing ideas within a team and with external stakeholders.
- Applicants MUST quote current and expected salary.
- One year contract – renewable depending on performance and availability of funds.
Human Resources Office,
P.O. Box 3246-40100,
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted by email for an interview.