Merlin Senior Project Officer (Family Planning and Nutrition) Job in Lodwar, Turkana, Kenya 2013 (120K)
Position: Senior Project Officer MNCH, Family Planning and Nutrition
Functionally Responsible To: Project Coordinator (PC)
Technically Responsible To: Project Health Coordinator (PHC)
Working With: Kenya district health authorities, health facility staff, Merlin field team, community unit structures
Location: Lodwar, Turkana
Salary: Kshs 120,000 per month
Insurance cover, 15% of Basic Salary as House Allowance, and annual leave entitlement of 24 days per annum at the completion of 12 months of continuous employment with Merlin.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.
Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be shortlisted on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
Merlin International Profile
Merlin is the only specialist UK charity which responds worldwide with vital health care and medical relief for vulnerable people caught up in natural disasters, conflict, disease and health system collapse.
Each year, Merlin helps more than 15 million people in up to 20 countries.
Context and Background
Merlin has been working in Kenya since 1998.
Merlin is currently operational in two geographic regions: Nyanza Province and Turkana in western Kenya. In addition to the country office in Nairobi, Merlin maintains offices in Kisii in Nyanza Province and Lodwar in Turkana.
Merlin is currently implementing three projects based in Kisii: two addressing HIV/AIDS and TB, and one aimed at reducing malaria incidence.
The overall objective of Merlin’s work in Kenya is to contribute to a reduction of health inequalities and to a reversal in the current downward trend in health related indicators.
Merlin does this by responding to emergency needs as well as continuing to build on lasting working relationships with communities and local partners; supporting the strengthening of the Kenyan health system; approaching health problems with innovative interventions; developing answers to key practical questions through operational research; and using the lessons learned at local levels to feed into national-level programming and planning.
The Purpose of the Job
Merlin is an international nongovernmental organization whose mission is to reduce needless loss of life in fragile contexts caused by a lack of effective health care.
Merlin is seeking an experienced professional with expertise to manage a project with the following components:
- Maternal, neonatal and child health
- Family planning
This position will be responsible for the overall management and implementation of a multifaceted programme that includes capacity building of partner agencies and district health authorities with a focus on expanding access to quality services for reducing maternal and child mortality and morbidity.
Program activities include but are not limited to addressing unmet need for family planning services (reaching youth and other vulnerable populations, provision of new and underused contraceptive methods, and the abandonment of female genital mutilation/ cutting), delivery of comprehensive MNCH services and nutrition support to children and mothers
- Supervise the development and implementation of MNCH, family planning and nutrition programs and program monitoring activities in Turkana County.
- In liaison with the PHC and PC develop proposals to donors to fund new and innovative program efforts for Turkana and in conjunction with local partners and Merlin colleagues.
- Ensure project goals and milestones are met efficiently and effectively, in accordance with project budgets and work plans.
- Develop the implementation capacity of counterparts and partners by providing technical assistance.
- Communicate information on program activities, study findings, and best practices at national as well as, district, and community levels through presentations at meetings.
- Compiling and writing donor reports, papers of publishable quality, summaries, and related products that efficiently enhance the exposure of project.
- Supervise the financial and administrative management of the project office in Turkana to comply with budgetary allocations, donor requirements, and Merlin policies.
- Contribute to the improvement of MNCH, nutrition and family planning services in Turkana County through liaison with the Ministry of Health, related agencies, relevant donors, and other partner institutions.
- Ensure the integration of program efforts on important and relevant issues by collaborating with program colleagues and other county staff.
- BSC in Nursing and 3 years of relevant experience in the field of reproductive health and nutrition.
- Nurse in public health, social science, public policy, or related field.
- A satisfactory combination of experience and educational background will be considered.
- Extensive experience in family planning, reproductive and maternal health programming in Kenya and/or Turkana region.
- Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills on reproductive Health.
- Excellent representational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Fluency in English, including both verbal and written.
- Experience working with donors, including governments and foundations, and managing donor requirements.
- Cultural understanding of Turkana and the region combined with thorough and current knowledge of issues in family planning and maternal health in Turkana.
To apply for this position
All applications including cover letter and cv should be sent to:
Merlin, Nairobi Office,
P.O Box 3350 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Email to: email@example.com
Application deadline is 5:00pm on Friday, 4th January 2013.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please note that in accordance with the 1998 Data Protection Act, Merlin will hold and use personal information that you have given for the purpose of recruitment and employment.
This information can be stored in manual and/or electronic form. This information may also be disclosed to third parties in accordance with the Data Protection Act.
In cases where a job offer is conditional on ensuring that potential employees’ names do not appear on counter terrorism lists generated by the United Nations, European Union or the United States due to donor funding requirements, Merlin will use the information that you have given for checking that your name does not appear on these lists.