Merlin Nutrition Officer Job in Lodwar, Turkana County, Kenya 2013 (KShs 65K)
Functionally Responsible To: Project lead MNCH, family planning and nutrition
Technically Responsible To: Nutrition Coordinator; Project health coordinator
Working With: Kenyan Ministry of Health authorities at district level and Health Facility Staff, Merlin field team.
Location: Lodwar, Turkana County
Salary: Kshs 65,000 per month
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted. Due to the urgency of this position, applications will be shortlisted on a regular basis and we may offer this post before the closing date.
Merlin International Profile
Context and Background
The overall objective of Merlin’s work in Kenya is to contribute to a reduction of health inequalities and to a reversal in the current downward trend in health related indicators.
The Purpose of the Job
Main duties of the Nutrition Officer:
- Ensure the provision of IYCN services and distribution of micronutrients to children under five, pregnant and lactating women, along with promotion of exclusive breastfeeding
- Supervise, mentor and work in collaboration with the health workers implementing IYCN activities
- In collaboration with Nurses and other field Officers, organize the logistics for community outreaches
- Together with the project lead ensure proper communication, coordination and harmonization of tools with the different stakeholders involved in food/nutrition activities (World Vision, DOL, IRC, SP, Oxfam GB, MSF, UNICEF)
- Ensure the spread of consistent messages about IYCF and maternal nutrition to nutrition programs providers and care givers across the targeted districts.
- Build the capacity of MOH and CSO staff on child feeding counselling services and participate in the training of community activists in IYCF.
- Participate in the training of health staff in the prevention and management of malnutrition
- Ensure the establishment of nutrition monitoring activities
- Participate in nutrition assessments, studies and surveys;
- To ensure correct data entry of all program components on a weekly basis.
- Analyse and compile the monthly nutrition report.
- Participate in weekly management staff meetings
- Contribute to proposal design and development
- Maintain monthly stocks of micronutrients and prepare monthly consumption reports.
- In the absence of project lead or PHC, attend health and nutrition coordination meetings and all relevant meetings with stakeholders
- Degree or Diploma in Nutrition or related health field
- At least three years experience in supervising the implementation of nutrition programmes.
- Experience in the implementation of nutrition monitoring activities and IYCF promotion and management
- Experience of carrying out nutritional surveys at field level
- Fluent spoken & written English
- Excellent management and communications skills
- Previous supervisory experience
- Ability to write clear and concise reports
- Training and facilitation experience
- Computer skills, including MS Office and EPI-Info
Merlin, Nairobi Office,
P.O Box 3350 – 00200, Nairobi, Kenya
Email to: email@example.com
Application deadline is 5:00pm on Friday, 4th January 2013.