Solidarites International WASH Program Manager Jobs in Afmadow, Somalia 2012
WASH Program Manager – Afmadow, Somalia
Solidarites International is an international humanitarian organization which provides assistance to populations who are victims of armed conflict or natural disasters.
For 30 years, Solidarites International (SI) has concentrated its action on meeting three vital needs: water, food and shelter.
By carrying out emergency programs, SI has acquired experience and expertise in the fields of WASH, food security, livelihoods and agriculture.
In the Horn of Africa, SI is currently implementing WASH and Food Security/Livelihoods programs in Kenya and Somalia.
The WASH Program Manager is a key senior staff member responsible for managing the WASH program in the field.
He/she will take the lead in WASH needs assessment; ensuring achievement of WASH objectives; and will manage the WASH team in the field.
Duration: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
Reports to: Field Coordinator – Afmadow
Technical links with: WASH Coordinator Kenya/Somalia
Supervisor to: Construction supervisors, Hygiene promotion supervisors and hygiene promoters.
List of main tasks include, but are not limited to the following:
- Recruit, train, mentor and manage the staff under his /her direct responsibility
- Prepare and update job descriptions for staff under his/her responsibility
- Evaluate the skills and performances of the staff under his/her responsibility
- Complete detailed activities plan of the sector in collaboration with the sector team
- Work closely with the Field Coordinator under the advice of the WASH Coordinator to complete detailed activity plans and other sector reports for the project
- Take lead role in carrying out sector needs assessment and propose best strategies of interventions and implementations
- Contribute to the development of the Program strategy in accordance with the SI Somalia country strategy plan
- To ensure correct implementation of WASH activities specific to borehole rehabilitation
- To be responsible for the construction/rehabilitation of Water and Sanitation structures and ensure efficient and effective quality of the work
- To control the development and progress of SI’s WASH program in Afmadow (progress indicators, relevance and efficiency) and to adjust activities and processes in relevance to the field situation and budget availability through undertaking regular reviews
- To plan and supervise the implementation of relevant and effective hygiene promotion activities
- To ensure adherence to the budgets with objectives and activities agreed jointly with the financial staff in the field and in Nairobi office
- To be responsible for program reporting to the Field Coordinator according to SI and donor reporting regulations
- To facilitate the collection of baseline, project monitoring and context monitoring data by WASH field staff
- To contribute to the documentation of field experience through the development of Institutional Knowledge Building (IKB) files
- To follow the advice and recommendations of the WASH Coordinator, or to demonstrate good reason not to.
- Develop Bill of Quantity (BoQ) and design with the support of technical coordinator and Field Coordinator.
Logistics / Administration
- To prepare purchase requests for materials in liaison with logistics and administration personnel, including the provision of detailed specifications for all requests
- To plan movement and transport needs of the WASH team
- To prepare weekly transport and access plan to work sites for SI staff and have it validated in terms of security by the FieldCoordinator
- To validate movements of WASH materials in and out of stock and to ensure timely deliveries of materials to worksites
- To monitor WASH budgets and expenditures, and to contribute to monthly budget monitoring reports to enure efficient and effective use of the available budget allocations
- To project WASH needs in terms of cashflow forecast for the Project
Reporting, Monitoring and Evaluation
- Prepare sector reports and ensure timely submission to the Field Coordinator
- Monitor regularly the progress and the timely implementation of WASH activities as outlined in the project documents.
- Develop the necessary monitoring and evaluation tool kits to check the success of the project
- Participate in writing new propositions of humanitarian actions including proposals and concept notes according to the needs of target population
- Document lessons learnt on strategic approaches (procurement, payment, recruitment, implementations, planning etc…)
- Ensure that Solidarités’ management tools are properly used in the planning and implementation of WASH activities.
- Ensure quality implementation and monitoring of WASH Projects.
- Share with the team every information about security, activities, logistical or administrative needs
- Prepare weekly situation report for WASH activities
- Contribute to final and intermediary activity reports
- Participate in weekly coordination team meetings
- Participate in security meetings
- Sharing and discuss WASH related propositions with donor’s representative.
- Participate in WASH Cluster meetings / forums whenever possible.
- Participate and organize meetings with different humanitarian actors (UN, NGOs etc..) about WASH issues in the field
Qualifications and experience requested:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Water ,Civil Engineering or other relevant field
- A master’s degree in a field relevant to WASH programming would be a distinct advantage
- Minimum 3 years of experience in WASH project management in a similar position
- Minimum 2 years of experience within an NGO or similar agencies
- Proven experience of working directly with communities and developing community driven projects
- Experience of work in a high security context
- Experience in team management and planning
- Proven experience in project management
Skills and competences
- Ability to operate effectively and be accepted by the community in all field sites
- Good knowledge of WASH technologies and current hygiene promotion methodologies used in humanitarian contexts
- Good knowledge of the project management cycle and methodology
- Understanding and interest in emergency humanitarian situations
- Knowledge and understanding of the main humanitarian actors
- Ability to analyze complex geopolitics contexts
- Team leadership and coordination ability
- Ability to propose and put into action new ideas
- Ability to negotiate with communities
- Good communicator
- Excellent report writing capacity
- Calm and diplomatic (security context)
- Good stress management skills
- Strong capacity to work with initiative and without close supervision
- Appetite for very challenging situations
- Acceptance of harsh living conditions
- Acceptance of Security rules and behavior guidelines
- Ability to work effectively in a multicultural team
- English (working language)
- Fluent in Somali language
- Knowledge of Kiswahili is an added advantage
- Excellent competency in Microsoft packages(Word, Excel, Outlook)
How to apply:
Send a cover letter and CV to the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please indicate the job title and location in the email subject line.
Qualified persons with Somali background will have high consideration for an interview opportunity.
Deadline for applications: 31th December 2012.
Please note that only shortlisted applicant will be contacted for interview.
Solidarites International is an equal opportunities employer