Senior Scientist Jobs at World Agroforestry Centre in Kenya 2012
Job Title: Senior Scientist – Decision Analyst
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Employer: World Agroforestry Centre
About the organization
The World Agroforestry Centre is an independent research institution which generates science-based knowledge about the complex role trees play in agricultural landscapes and rural livelihoods. As part of the Centre’s work to bring tree-based solutions to bear on poverty and environmental problems, researchers – working in close collaboration with partners – are developing new technologies, tools and policy recommendations for increased food security and ecosystem health.
The Centre’s headquarters are located in Nairobi, Kenya, and research is conducted in 23 countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We are supported by the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and receive funding from over 50 different donors.
Main purpose of the job
Lead the Decision Analysis Activity within the Information Systems Strategic Research Portfolio of the CGIAR Programme on Water, Land & Ecosystems (WLE), in close partnership with other WLE research portfolios.
The job specifically includes the following duties and responsibilities:
* In partnership with WLE scientists and stakeholders, develop probabilistic decision analytic models (such as risk-return and cost-benefit models) for identifying high value information needs for key development decisions at multiple scales in the area of Water, Land and Ecosystems
* Directly assist in a project to implement a probabilistic analysis method already identified by WLE
* Work with the WLE Programme Director to provide decision analysis at the programme level, identifying outputs at regional or global scale that support the business plan of WLE
* Build the capacity of CGIAR scientists and stakeholders in probabilistic decision analysis methods and assist implementation programmes to use the models to help prioritize plans and cost-effective design monitoring and impact assessment systems
* Develop collaborative links with centres of excellence in decision sciences
* Publish results in journal articles
* Develop funding proposals to support the Decision Analysis Strategic Research Portfolio.
Qualifications and experience
* MSc, MBA or PhD in a quantitative field
* Sound knowledge of Bayesian theory, Monte Carlo simulation, risk-return analysis
* At least 3 years’ experience in applied probabilistic decision modelling, risk analysis or related field
* Demonstrated aptitude for building Monte Carlo simulation models.
Terms of offer
We offer a collegial, diverse and gender-sensitive working environment, and strongly encourage applications from qualified women. This position is remunerated on international terms. The appointment will be for an initial period of three (3) years, subject to a nine (9) months’ probation period. The preferred duty station is Nairobi but other CGIAR locations may be considered. The job requires extensive travel, working with CGIAR scientists and stakeholders in developing countries across the tropics.
How to apply
* A cover letter illustrating your suitability for the position, and your salary expectations.
* Detailed and up-to-date curriculum vitae.
* The names and addresses of three referees, including telephone numbers and email addresses, and fax details, if available.
How to Apply:
The Human Resources Unit, World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF), P.O Box 30677, 00100, Nairobi, Kenya OR send via email to: email@example.com. Indicate “Application for Senior Scientist – Decision Analyst” on the application letter. Applications will be considered until 31st December 2012. Please note that only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.
Deadline: 31st December 2012