AWF Conservation Schools (DACS) Director Jobs vacancy in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Director, AWF Conservation Schools (DACS)
For more than 50 years, the African Wildlife Foundation (AWF) has been a key player in African conservation and sustainable development.
AWF is currently seeking a talented professional to lead its new initiative of linking education to conservation, over the next 10 years in key wildlife landscapes (AWF heartlands) in Africa.
As this is a new position within AWF, the DACS will be the primary leader in crafting a vision, and the tools and systems to develop and support these schools.
The DACS will work with relevant teams to generate proposals, partnerships and relationships to attract funding and resources to make this program successful.
Reporting to the AWF Chief Executive Officer, the Director, AWF Conservation Schools will be the manager of AWF’s initiative to build and support a network of approximately 15 primary schools, directly linking education to conservation, over the next 10 years in the key wildlife landscapes (AWF’s Heartlands) in Africa.
This individual will be responsible for ensuring linkages between African Conservation Schools (ACS) and AWF’s broader conservation program; development and implementation of a model for African Conservation Schools; creating relationships and negotiating agreements for new schools; implementing an ongoing program of support and improvement for ACS and teachers; leading a cycle of proposal development, fundraising and reporting for ACS.
This position will be based in AWF’s Headquarter office in Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will have;
- Postgraduate qualification in education or related field (MA, M.Sc., M.Ed. or PhD)
- At least 5 years’ experience in education management, leadership or administration
- Direct teaching experience
- Demonstrated ability to build a program
- Outstanding knowledge and credibility in improving education
- Passion for linking education to wildlife conservation
- Ability to negotiate and represent AWF at a high level with donors and Government Ministries
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Exposure or participation in conservation is a plus
- Fluency in English essential; fluency in French a strong advantage
A professional operating environment with latitude to innovate and deliver value as well as a competitive remuneration package is available to the right person who shares an interest in AWF’s mission and core values.
If you are interested in this position, please send a cover letter and your detailed CV indicating daytime telephone numbers, address and names of three referees with subject ”DACS”, to email@example.com.
Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted.
Closing Date: December 31, 2012
For further information on the position and AWF, please visit www.awf.org/jobs