Accounts Assistant Job Vacancy – University of Washington-Global Assistance Project Kenya 2012 (UW-Kenya)
The University of Washington-Global Assistance Project Kenya (UW-Kenya), is currently recruiting for the position of an Accounts Assistant for various research studies and training programs taking place in Kenya.
The position will be based in Nairobi.
Main Objectives of this position:
The Accounts Assistant will provide accounting and budget support to Principal Investigators, administrators and trainees involved in research and training programs associated with University of Washington and its collaborating institutions in Kenya.
The Accounts Assistant will have frequent communication with the Seattle and Nairobi-based personnel involved in research and training activities.
This position reports to the Principal Investigator/Program Director of each program.
Key Responsibilities and Tasks include:
- Liaise with the Grants and Contracts Office at University of Washington and collaborating institutions to facilitate management of grant funds
- Ensure paychecks are processed on time, as well as preparation and payment of locum salaries and benefits
- Handle petty cash, reconcile and submit to the grants office for reimbursement
- Coordinate payment of suppliers and other project vendors
- Reconcile project accounts in the different collaborating institutions
- Prepare monthly statements for the different collaborating institutions
- Maintain accounting records
- Manage and follow up on project budgets
- Implement auditable internal controls for project office using UW-Kenya policies and procedures
- Any other accounting work that may arise
- Liaise with UW-Kenya HR and Finance Manager as needed
Required Qualifications, Skills and Experiences:
- Education: Bachelor of Commerce, and minimum qualified CPA II
- Experience: At least one year experience in financial policy implementation, preferably in the Non-Governmental Organization sector
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite
- Proficiency and experience in QuickBooks or similar computerized accounting software
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Very strong organizational skills
- Good team player
The above job description is not meant to be conclusive.
The position holder will be expected to undertake any other tasks as may be directed by their Supervisor.
All applicants should send an application letter stating why your skills and qualifications are suitable for this position and an updated detailed Curriculum vita (CV) including detailed work experience, current remuneration, with current contact information, notice period required to take up appointment and names and contacts of three professional references.
Terms of Employment:
Contract for one year, renewable as per the UW-Kenya’s scheme of service. The successful candidate shall undergo a six month probationary period upon initiation of employment.
Closing Date: 7th December, 2012
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Foreseen start date: 2nd January, 2013
All CVs and cover letters should be sent to email@example.com.
No certificates are required at this stage.
In addition, only applicants who fill-out the application form in the following link will be considered: https://docs.google.com/a/uwkenya.org/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dGIweGhsV1hhSkc2RW5rVE9ha3hQd3c6MQ#gid=0