icipe Field Assistants Jobs in Kenya – Habitat Management Programme for the Integrated Control of Cereal Stemborers and Striga Weed 2012
icipe – African Insect Science for Food and Health is an intergovernmental organisation funded by governmental aid agencies, UN organisations and private foundations to carry out research and training in environmentally sound and sustainable management of arthropods for improving health and agricultural productivity in the tropics.
icipe wishes to urgently recruit two Field Assistants in the Habitat Management Programme for the Integrated Control of Cereal Stemborers and Striga Weed.
The appointments will initially be for one year, with opportunities for renewal pegged on individual performance and availability of funds. Applications are invited from qualified Kenyans only.
To assist in dissemination of the Push–Pull technology among smallholder farmers in East Africa
The successful candidates will be expected to:
- Set up and manage Push–Pull demonstration plots as learning sites in strategic locations within the region
- Collect and manage both biological and social science data from farmers’ fields
- Establish partnerships with stakeholders, including Ministries of Agriculture and Livestock in the region, to ensure effective up-scaling of the technology
- Assist graduate students in carrying out field and on-farm experiments
- Carry out any other duties as may be assigned by the Programme Leader.
- At least 2 years’ working experience in a closely related discipline within a reputable agricultural research organisation will be an added advantage
- Experience in working with small-scale farmers in cereal–livestock integrated systems
- Experience in use of computers and data entry
- Experience in field entomological studies (e.g. sampling and morphological identification of insects)
- Excellent data compilation, analysis and report writing skills.
- Kenya Certificate of Secondary Education (KCSE) or its equivalent
- Certificate in applied biology/lab technology or closely related discipline.
- Good communication skills
- Eagerness to learn new skills.
Human Resources Department
icipe—African Insect Science for Food and Health
P.O. Box 30772-00100