World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) Jobs vacancies in Nairobi Kenya 2012
The World Agroforestry Centre (ICRAF) is part of the Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) and generates science-based knowledge about the complex role that trees play in agricultural landscapes. ICRAF uses its research to ensure that policies and practices benefit the poor and the environment.
CCAFS is an ambitious 10-year programme that began in 2010 and is attempting to bring together climate scientists from the Global Change Research Community and agriculture and food security researchers from the 15 CGIAR centres, to make the research relevant for resource-poor smallholder families in South Asia, West Africa and East Africa (www.ccafs.cgiar.org).
CCAFS works closely with ICRAF’s Global Research Project on Climate Change (GRP5) that focuses on issues related to climate change mitigation and adaptation in the context of smallholder land use and development.
The Social Scientist will work with diverse research and practitioner partners across the three target regions.
This person should be comfortable working at the interface of highly diverse disciplines, sectors and methods.
Social Scientist, Linking Knowledge with Action – CCAFS, will be based at ICRAF in Nairobi, and supervised by CCAFS Theme 4.1 Research Leader.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provide scientific input and conduct research for CCAFS’s Theme 4.1 Research Theme – Linking Knowledge with Action, in terms of planning, implementing and monitoring the research agenda;
2. Assist the CCAFS Theme 4.1 Leader in:
- Supporting CCAFS and partners leverage funding, develop research proposals and activities;
- Supporting CCAFS research activities;
- Developing new partnerships and contracts and helping partners develop proposals;
- Recruiting and managing consultancies and partnerships;
- Assisting partners in developing communication products and publishing in various media, including writing and editing working papers, research reports, briefs, blogs and journal articles;
- Assisting in organizing international workshops and training events.
1. Masters or higher degree with at least 5 years experience within an international development context in any social science field, with preference towards political science, anthropology, human geography, or other relevant fields (as we are seeking skills to complement the leader who is an economist).
2. Solid experience (at least 2-3 years) in agricultural/NRM and poverty/livelihood-related fieldwork in a developing world context, particularly in Africa.
3. Experience in linking knowledge with action (research into use, science into policy)-related research and approaches (outcome mapping, impact pathways, theory of change, etc.) would be an advantage.
4. Evidence of excellent writing, synthesis and communication skills and a solid publications record in international journals will be very important.
5. Experience in developing research proposals, and research/survey design and implementation, will be extremely helpful.
Terms of Offer
ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer offering an internationally competitive salary and benefits and a collegial working environment.
Applicants are invited to send a cover letter illustrating their suitability for the above position against the listed qualifications/competencies/skills and a detailed curriculum vitae, with names and addresses of three referees (including telephone, fax numbers and email address).
Applicants should indicate “Application for Social Scientist-CCAFS Linking Knowledge with Action” on their application letters OR email submissions.
Only short-listed applicants meeting the above requirements will be contacted.