Adeso Africa ( www.adesoafrica.org) Job in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Adeso Africa ( www.adesoafrica.org) Job in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Position Title: Monitoring, Evaluation, and Research (MER) Manager
Organization: Adeso, www.adesoafrica.org
Reporting to: Program Director
Working with: Program team in Kenya and Somalia, Program Director, Program Quality Team in Nairobi
Duty station: Nairobi with frequent field visits throughout Kenya and Somalia
Duration: 3 years
Starting date: 1st October 2012
Adeso, formerly known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization.
At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming.
We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan.
Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
Adeso is seeks to fill the following position for an anticipated UKAID (UKAID) funded project. The Girls’ Education Challenge (GEC) will help up to a million of the world’s poorest girls to have an opportunity to improve their lives through education.
The initiative calls on NGOs, charities and the private sector to find better ways of getting girls in school and ensuring they receive a quality of education to transform their future.
As a member of GEC Senior Management Team, the Monitoring and Evaluation and Research Manager (MER) will be responsible for the project’s monitoring, research and evaluation function.
The post holder will provide technical leadership and support to the development of comprehensive performance monitoring plans by GEC and its partners.
These will in turn form the basis for data collection, ensuring data quality and integrity, analyzing indicator data, organizing monthly formative feedback sessions for project staff, and monitoring compliance with UKAID specified targets.
The MER Manager will be expected to provide appropriate support in all M&E and research related capacity-building activities for the GEC Program as well as developing and maintaining the project’s Management Information System (MIS).
S/he will also take responsibility for collecting and compiling regular monthly and quarterly reports for review by the Chief of Party and for revisiting program indicators to ensure that they are suitable for project purposes.
Specific Roles and Responsibilities
- Develop the project performance monitoring and evaluation plan and
- Periodically refine performance indicators to ensure that objectives are practical, specific and cost-effective;
- Lead the development and implementation of robust education research programs to inform evidence-based policy and practice;
- Develop and manage the project’s Management Information System using computer programs (such as Microsoft Excel and research oriented programs such as EPI INFO/SPSS) to ensure efficient and effective collection, entry and analysis of quantitative and qualitative partner intervention data;
- Advise the GEC senior management team and partners on implications of project decisions based on Monitoring, Research and Evaluation findings. This will include advising on all situations that have potential impact on the project’s ability to reach its performance targets;
- Prepare the project for a mid-term and a final evaluation by liaising with all relevant stakeholders [including partners] to ensure that data is in order, that staff are aware of their obligations, and that the evaluators have appropriate access to information;
- Facilitate learning-oriented analysis sessions of M&E data, analyze and disseminate complex information to a wide range of audiences including donors and the government; and
- Regularly train GEC staff and partners on Monitoring, Research, Learning and Evaluation to ensure that project experiences and lessons are used to improve performance and to inform the design of new programs.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree in Education, Population Studies, Social Sciences, Social Research Methods [both quantitative and qualitative], Project Management, Anthropology, International Development, Statistics or other relevant degree;
- Substantive experience with Information Technology-related training in research programs and establishment of data tracking systems;
- Minimum 5 years hands-on experience in monitoring, research and evaluation in a busy working environment related to international development projects, preferably in the education sector;
- Hands-on experience in the application of common statistical packages such as EPI INFO and SPSS;
- Demonstrated competence in the design and implementation of research programs;
- Knowledge of UKAID donor reporting requirements and monitoring systems highly desirable; and
- Demonstrated ability to train, support and mentor staff and partners on M&E methodology; Excellent analytical and report writing skills.
This is a challenging position for a dedicated and highly motivated professional.
If you would like to join this dynamic team and help contribute to better resilience and economic growth for African communities, please submit your job application to email@example.com.
Each application should be addressed to the Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- A cover letter, which should include the full contact details of three professional references.
Applications not including all of the above will not be reviewed.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.
Closing date: 31 Aug 2012