Operations Officer Jobs at International Finance Corporation (IFC) (http://www1.ifc.org) in Kenya 2012
Job Title: Senior Operations Officer (Senior Clean Energy Specialist)- Nairobi, Kenya- 121729
Job #: 121729
Title: Senior Operations Officer (Senior Clean Energy Specialist)
Job Stream: Technical Assistance & Advisory Services
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Closing Date: 07/30/2012
Background / General description:
The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the private sector investment arm of the World Bank Group, pursues its mission of creating opportunities for people to escape poverty by promoting private sector development through investment and advisory services. IFC’s Sustainable Business Advisory (SBA) Business Line works with firms in manufacturing, agribusiness, services, and infrastructure to contribute to the creation of inclusive, environmentally sustainable, and efficient markets in developing countries.
Across six regional teams, Clean Energy Specialists within the Business Line work to increase investment flows into clean energy by demonstrating the commercial viability of and removing specific barriers to the scale-up of renewable energy technologies that reduce green house gas (GHG) emissions and increase access to modern energy services for the poor.
In support of IFC Africa’s growing commitment in this area, a Senior Operations Officer (Senior Clean Energy Specialist) is being sought to lead clean energy programs and provide technical assistance to IFC’s regional investment and advisory teams.
The successful candidate will be based in Nairobi and regional travel will be required.
Duties and Accountabilities:
Reporting to the Sustainable Business Advisory Manager in the region, the Clean Energy Specialist will manage one or several advisory projects or components in the region to which they are assigned, while also possibly providing technical and energy market expertise more broadly. More specifically they will be accountable for:
• Business Development: Develop, design and deliver a growing pipeline and portfolio of projects that take a programmatic perspective on addressing market barriers to clean energy and thus open up markets for investment; work with IFC investment colleagues as relevant.
• Project Management and Supervision: Manage project budgets; hire and manage project teams, including consultants and consulting firms as necessary.
• Global Practice Group: Participate in IFC’s global Clean Energy practice group by promoting topics related to clean energy across IFC and ensuring that related topics find the required corporate attention; disseminate information and relevant knowledge; develop and continuously refine analytical tools that teams across IFC are using in designing and delivering projects.
• Technical Specialist: Provide expert advice to the region and the corporation on energy related matters as needed.
• Thought Leadership: Support IFC’s thought leadership agenda in clean energy as appropriate, e.g. developing technical pieces, lessons learned, and analytical tools as well as organizing related outreach and awareness raising events.
• Fundraising: Actively contribute to fundraising efforts for clean energy programs across IFC to support the growth of the clean energy practice area.
• Product development: Contribute to strengthening of the Clean Energy global practice in terms of strategy, program development and monitoring; developing new tools and approaches, identifying new talent, coaching and mentoring junior staff; promote topics related to clean energy across IFC and ensure that related topics find the required corporate attention.
Masters level education in business, engineering, finance, economics, or related field.
Minimum 10 years of relevant operational experience and proven performance in the energy sector and/or clean energy sector, including hands-on involvement in project design, appraisal and management
Technical skills that demonstrate knowledge of a broad range of both clean energy and social/commercial issues related to the energy agenda.
Experience with projects in or at the interface with the private sector is essential; experience in IFC operations or in similar investment operations is an advantage.
Dynamic individual, with track record in identifying hidden market opportunities, structuring interventions and implementing them.
Proven experience managing relationships, resolving differences, and achieving successful outcomes among multiple and diverse set of stakeholders.
Outstanding track-record of proven, results oriented performance/achievement.
Ability to handle a variety of activities concurrently in a high-pressure environment and deliver consistently.
Excellent communication skills, in terms of clarity and ability to listen and respond to counterparts and be truly understood as well as understand others’ concerns and ideas; professional maturity and business judgment.
Ability to synthesize multiple/complex messages and to identify appropriate key points for different audiences;
Strong team player with the ability to take leadership as well as supporting roles.
Dedication to excellence, patience for detail and the ability to translate detailed information into broad strategy and back into individual work-plans or actions.
Fluency in English; language skills in French and/or other languages desirable.
Women are particularly encouraged to apply