Norwegian Church Aid actalliance Program Officer (Somalia) Job in Nairobi Kenya 2012
Program Officer, Somalia
Responsible for: Livelihood, Faith Communities, and Peace building
Reports to: Somalia Programme Coordinator
Duty Station: Nairobi, Kenya (with travel to Somalia)
Start date: Immediately
Period of Contract: One year with opportunity for extension
Purpose of position
The post holder will join a team based in Nairobi, which oversees the overall program in Somalia headed by the Somalia Programme Coordinator.
The Somalia Programme is part of the NCA Area Representation Office based in Nairobi, which is headed by the Area Representative for Somalia and Kenya.
NCA works for the attainment and full realization of peoples’ basic rights through the development of local capacities and initiatives.
NCA’s program in Somalia has greatly expanded and includes emergency humanitarian interventions as well as long term development projects. NCA’s focus areas have been the Gedo region, the State of Puntland and in the Afgoye corridor of Mogadishu.
Main Responsibilities of post holder
- Taking leadership in the respective thematic areas
- Monitoring and reporting on designated program areas and partners
- Attending cluster forums/trainings and meetings
- Building capacities of staff of partner organizations
- Working in close collaboration with the Somalia Programme Financial Controller to ensure reporting compliance
- Supervising thematic implementation of the project
- Organizing thematic partner meetings
- Preparing and submitting thematic quality reports to Somalia Programme Coordinator
- Advising the Somalia Programme Coordinator on new program development issues
- Ensuring cross-cutting issues are handled in accordance with NCA’s Global Strategy
- Ensuring that projects achieve minimum standards during implementation
- Bachelor’s degree in Social/Development studies or related fields.
- Background in sustainable livelihoods and peace building desired.
- At least 5 years in project management within NGO working environment.
- Understanding of the context in Somalia would be an added advantage.
Skills: Demonstrable skills in leadership, proposal and report writing, facilitation & training, monitoring and evaluation, and proficiency in the use of word processing, spreadsheet and internet.
Language: Excellent written and spoken English.
The successful candidate will be expected to have a proper understanding, interpretation and commitment to NCA’s vision, mission, values and strategies.
Knowledge of the 2010 HAP Standard in Accountability and Quality Management would be an advantage.
NCA upholds the right of equal opportunity, and qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Applicants who meet the requirements and qualifications outlined above, should submit an application letter and a detailed C.V., indicating current and expected remuneration by e-mail to:
by Wednesday, 18th July 2012.
by Wednesday, 18th July 2012.
Only short listed candidates will be contacted for interview.