SNV Value Chain, and Market Systems Development Advisors Jobs in Kenya 2012
SNV Netherlands Development Organization (Kenya) http://www.snvworld.org/en/countries/kenya is a Dutch based International Development Organization that provides market based solutions for the poor through local institutions and organisations in 36 developing countries in Asia, Africa, Latin America and The Balkans.
As a result of growth, SNV seeks qualified professionals for different ASAL programs in the following areas:
1. Senior Value Chain Competitiveness & Inclusiveness Advisors
The position will support realization of the goal to enhance value chain competitiveness in ASAL areas and enhance pastoral livelihoods through sustainable market systems.
- Provide expertise and Lead a team of advisors in development of market systems for various Value chains in the ASALs
- Spearhead all aspects of the value chain approach and competiveness activities.
- Facilitate Multi-stakeholder platforms geared towards improving the livestock and livestock products market systems.
- Strengthening livestock markets in ASALs to enable them offer all year round transaction space for pastoralists.
- Assist in managing the livestock projects.
- Minimum of 10 years of regional/ international experience in economic growth, trade, value chain competitiveness, livestock, agricultural development, and/or food security programs. Preference will be given to those with considerable working experience in pastoral areas.
- Demonstrated success in implementing programs aimed at increasing the competitiveness and inclusiveness of value chains.
- Demonstrate creativity and ability to design systemic interventions in Value chains
- Demonstrated knowledge of the latest developments in advancing good/best practices in value chain development that reaches the women, youth, the poor and very poor
- Demonstrated experience in collaborating across projects.
- Strong background in gender integration and women empowerment,
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with an additional 7 years’ experience to the required minimum above. Fields of discipline and experience will be from area such as Animal Science/Livestock Development, Veterinary science, Agriculture,
- Agric. Economics, Agribusiness, and/or Entrepreneurship Development.
2. Livestock Market Systems Development Advisor
The Medior Livestock Advisors will report to the livestock senior/sector leader and are expected to play a lead role interacting with key implementing actors and other development partners
They shall be responsible for facilitating all livestock development matters that, among others, include:
- improving livestock productivity by promoting fodder development, improved animal nutrition, animal health, breeding, and livestock marketing.
- Catalyse the formation of and mentor producer associations and other groups of market actors involved in pastoral supply chains
- Provide business guidance to community livestock and marketing enterprises during their incubation stages. This will include building capacity of market actors to develop value chains for ASAL products
- Provide guidance to communities and local authorities in the establishment and effective operation of livestock markets
- Build the capacity of partner agencies in livestock production and market systems development
- Contribute to capturing and distilling lessons learnt during project implementation and developing concepts and proposals for future work
- Minimum of 10 years or more work experience of practical experience in livestock development, including livestock marketing and processing. Previous experience working in Kenya is strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 3 years implementing managing or evaluating livestock development programs in the Horn of Africa, especially in the pastoral areas.
- A minimum of a Master’s degree in a relevant discipline or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with an additional 3 years’ experience to the required minimums above. Fields of discipline and experience will be in areas such as animal science, range management, livestock marketing, dairy/meat processing, agribusiness management and pastoral livestock systems.
- Due to the challenging environment of the project area, including security concerns and unique socio-cultural factors the Livestock Specialist should be a Kenyan National.
- Contract Duration
- 2 years with possibility for extension
How to apply?
Please send your application letter and CV containing 3 referees to email@example.com (att. HR Officer) before 23rd July, 2012 with reference to “Value Chain Competitiveness & Inclusiveness Advisor” or “Livestock Market Systems Development Advisor (as the case may be) as cover letter title.