IOM Project Assistant (MIDA FINNSOM) Job in Hargeisa, Somaliland 2012
Vacancy No.: IOMSO/048/12
Position Title: Project Assistant – MIDA FINNSOM
Classification: G5/01 (based on the UN Salary Scale for the General Service staff in Somalia)
Duty Station: Hargeisa, Somaliland
Type of Appointment: 6 months Special Short Term contract with possibility of extension
Under the overall supervision of the Chief of Mission of Somalia, technical supervision of the MIDA Program Coordinator and the MIDA FINNSOM Health National Project Officer in Hargeisa Office, and line supervision by the HSO, the Project Assistant will provide technical and logistical support and assist in the implementation, monitoring and reporting of MIDA FINNSOM Health activities aimed at facilitating short-term capacity-building assignments by Somali diaspora for the development of Somalia health institutions.
1. Communications/Liaison Functions (On-the-ground focal point for the MIDA FINNSOM Health project) – this includes the following:
- Answer queries about MIDA FINNSOM Health from interested partners, in close collaboration with the Project Officer in Hargeisa and the HSO in Hargeisa. Support programme implementation by maintaining good relations with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities as well as other international organizations and local agencies in the duty station.
- Follows up with beneficiary institutions, i.e. ministries. Makes sure that TORs of diaspora professionals are clear and understood by relevant counterparts in beneficiary institutions. Makes sure that roles and responsibilities are clear and that contracts are signed (also see monitoring below),
- Supports diaspora Professionals before, during and at end of assignment, in collaboration with project management in Hargeisa,
- Communicates daily, if necessary, with the project management team in Hargeisa.
- Support programme implementation by maintaining good relations with relevant governmental, non-governmental entities as well as other international organizations and local agencies in the duty station.
- Represents the MIDA FINNSOM Health project in attending meetings.
- Prepares the groundwork for a diaspora professional’s assignment. This includes:
- Verifying and updating security assessment in place of assignment,
- Meets the diaspora Professional on arrival, and facilitates orientation,
- Making sure all arrangements are in place by the host beneficiary institution, including office, equipment and accommodations as per agreement.
- Monitors the intended outputs of the assignment – both in terms of the Diaspora professional and beneficiary host institutions.
- Establishes and facilitates midterm and end of assignment evaluation reports by Diaspora professionals and questionnaires by host institution focal points,
- Frequent monitoring reports to project management team in Hargeisa.
3. Security-related Functions:
- Monitors the security of diaspora Professionals in assignment and in conjunction with beneficiary host institutions,
- Frequent security reports and recommendations,
- Facilitates medical and security emergency evacuation, if necessary.
4. Drafts and prepares correspondence, and other reports, electronic presentations and resource materials in both Somali and English.
5. Performs other duties as may be assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree in political science, international relations, public administration, international law, development studies, or other relevant fields of studies preferable.
2. At least five years working experience in programme development, operations, implementation, monitoring and reporting.
3. Previous work experience in an international organisation (UN, IO, NGO) in cross cultural field environment.
4. Clear understanding of political, economic, bureaucratic, social and cultural structures in Somaliland
5. Strong computer skills, specifically hands on experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and Outlook
6. Desirable IOM Competencies:
A) Behavioural – Accountability, Client Orientation, Continuous Learning, Communication, Creativity and Initiative, Leadership and Negotiation , Performance Management, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Teamwork , Technological Awareness.
B) Technical – Delivers on set objectives in hardship situations, effectively coordinates actions with other implementing partners, works effectively with local authorities, stakeholders, beneficiaries, and the broader community to advance country office or regional objectives. (Based on IOM Competency Matrix).
7. Strong coordination and organizational
8. Excellent command of spoken and written English and Somali languages.
Mode of Application:
Submit Cover Letter and CV including daytime telephone and email address to:
International Organization for Migration (IOM),
Human Resources Department,
PO Box 55040-00200 Nairobi
PO Box 55040-00200 Nairobi
or send by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Closing Date: 15 June 2012