UON Project Jobs in Kenya june 2012
University of Nairobi : External Project Advertisement
Applications are invited for the following positions:
Department of Clinical Medicine & Therapeutics CRISSP Project
The University of Nairobi, through the Department of Clinical Medicine and Therapeutics, College of Health Sciences, has received funding from the US Centre for Disease Control and Prevention to support the Ministries of Medical Services and Public Health and Sanitation implement high quality, equitable, accessible sustainable and comprehensive HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment and Support services in Kiambu and Kirinyaga Districts in Central Province.
To achieve this objective, the Project seeks to fill the following positions.
1 Position-AC/5/219/12- (CHS)
- Applicants should be holders of a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBChB) and
- MPH (Masters in Public Health) degrees (or equivalent health systems related qualifications) from recognized institutions; and registered with the Kenya Medical Practitioners’ and Dentists’ Board with a valid practice license.
- The applicant should have at least 7 years experience in HIV Prevention, Care and Treatment Programming within the public sector or large NGO/donor environments and demonstrate experience presenting health systems issues to public health policy makers and development partners.
- In addition, they should possess superlative oral, written communication and computing skills.
- The project director will be a strong, strategic partner with the ability to conceptualize, develop, and direct project results aligned to service delivery partner and donor priorities.
The successful candidate will have superlative communication and interpersonal skills, with a track record in planning and execution; and expertise in health financing, governance, institutional capacity building and/or health systems strengthening and an advanced degree in a health systems related field such as public health, health services management, project management or epidemiology.
Key responsibilities will include to
- Oversee and guide the overall direction of the project
- Define, develop, execute and continually update the project work-plan; and adjust strategic goals, plans and operations of the project to meet service delivery partner and donor objectives and targets
- Coordinate logistical support for effective and efficient delivery of technical assistance and institutional capacity development
- Represent the project to the Provincial Health Management Teams, target District Health Management Teams, the donor, project partners and other implementing partners
- Provide leadership and oversight for the project’s senior management team that sets the overall direction for the project
- Oversee and contribute to planning and reporting on project activities
- Oversee project finances
- Oversee and/or actively participate in the preparation of grant applications and provide technical expertise for other resource mobilization activities
- Produce reports, presentations and analyses that meet GOK and donor requirements
- Oversee monitoring and evaluation functions
Finance and Administration Officer
1 Position- AC/5/220/12- (CHS)
Location: Nairobi with frequent field travel.
Applicants should possess a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Accounting, Finance, Public Administration or related field and atleast five years of relevant progressive work experience, preferably in a healthcare environment. Professional accounting qualifications, CPA-K, will be mandatory.
Prior experience in audit and knowledge of USG financial rules and regulations strongly desired. Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word) programs and major accounting software systems is desired.
Those with additional certification in human resources management, project management, procurement and supply chain management or strategic management will have an added advantage.
The Finance and Administration Officer will be responsible for the coordination of administrative, human resources, procurement and supply chain and financial activities of the project.
The successful applicant will
- Supervise and coordinate the provision of all administrative, personnel and financial support to the project, ensuring that appropriate controls and reporting structures are maintained in accordance with Grantee and Donor rules and regulations;
- Manage projects accounting and financial systems by ensuring that appropriate controls and reporting structures are maintained in accordance with Grantee and Donor financial rules and regulations,
- Coordinate and act as focal point for issues relating to finance (including salary, and any other disbursements to sub guarantees.
- Supervise subcontract and field accountants
- Prepare monthly financial reports that include cash flow reports, audits and projections
- Manage logistic operations, including procurement, transportation, material and personnel and ensure efficient and timely delivery of services
- Take part in resource mobilization activities including proposal development, costing and budgeting
- Develop and implement strategies for capacity building of partner organizations in all aspects of management especially developing mechanisms to mobilize and manage resources for priority public health interventions
Monitoring & Evaluation Advisor
1 Position – AC/5/221/12- (CHS)
Location: Nairobi with frequent field travel.
- Applicants must have the at least Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with 5 years experience in monitoring and evaluation.
- Those with advanced training in health informatics/biostatistics will have an added advantage.
- The successful candidate will be responsible for providing technical assistance to project partners in data collection, analysis and reporting in line with the GOK and Donor requirements.
Specifically, the position will focus on developing the capacity of partners to collect, analyze and utilize data for all aspects of program implementation including planning and quality improvement; develop and execute M&E plans, understanding of reporting tools and project indicator definitions and development.
Service Delivery and TA Team Leads
1 Position – AC/5/222/12- (CHS)
- Applicants should be in possession of a minimum of MBChB degree from a recognized institution and be registered with the Kenya Medical Practitioners’ and Dentists’ Board and at least 3 years experience in HIV programming.
- Those with health systems related qualifications (MPH, Project Management, Health Systems Management or Epidemiology) will have an added advantage.
- Evidence of training in aspects of HIV Medicine will be required.
The successful candidates will be responsible for coordination of the activities of the TA Hub responsible for implementation of quality, accessible and comprehensive HIV prevention, care, treatment and support in partnership with target DHMTs and HMTs.
They will also provide technical support for the implementation of HIV prevention, care and treatment; and TB/HIV collaborative activities; support mentorship and capacity development of service provider members, implementation of community programs and quality improvement systems and supervise TA Team.
Program Officer – Health Communication and Advocacy
1 Post AC/5/223/12- (CHS)
- Applicants must be holders of a Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing, Public Health, Development Studies or related field, with requisite experience in knowledge management and advocacy.
- She/he should have at least 3 years of experience and demonstrated ability in developing and implementing a wide variety of health communication and advocacy strategies for multidisciplinary stakeholders.
The successful candidate will be expected to assist the TA Teams develop and disseminate relevant health messages, prepare messages for multimedia including print, web, video and audio platforms.
They should also possess exceptional written and oral communication skills.
QI and Training Coordinators
2 Positions- AC/5/224/12- (CHS)
- Applicant should have a at least a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing with postgraduate qualifications in Public Health.
- Candidates with Diploma in Nursing with HND in Epidemiology or public health will be considered.
- They should have at least 3 years experience in HIV programming and superior written and oral communication skills and be computer literate with evidence of ability to use statistical packages.
The QI and Training Coordinator will be responsible for
- development and implementation of quality improvement systems, protocols and procedures across program areas including establishment of quality improvement committees and teams and quality improvement plans
- coordinating the development of standards of care and standard operating procedures and advocating for adherence to these standards
- reviewing collected data and performing and reporting descriptive statistical analyses to identifying patterns of quality concern
- conducting clinical chart reviews and analysis of quality performance indicators across project sites, and reporting on trends in care quality
- identifying existing barriers to the Standard of Care, identification of training needs, citation of gaps between expected and current practices, and recommendations on further revisions to the standards/capacity building
- Coordinate training and other capacity building activities.
Laboratory Systems Coordinator
1 Position- AC/5/225/12- (CHS)
Location: Nairobi with frequent field travel.
- Applicants should be holders of a BSc in Medical Laboratory Technology or Higher National Diploma or equivalent from a recognized institution.
- They should have a minimum of five (5) years working in a busy clinical laboratory.
- Those with additional training in GCLP will have an added advantage.
- Applicants should be registered with the relevant regulatory authority.
- The successful candidate will be expected to be knowledgeable in both medical technology and management principles.
- He/ She should be a team player, have excellent oral, written communication and computer skills.
He/ she will:-
- Conduct training and on-site mentorship for laboratory personnel
- Support expansion and implementation of laboratory services networks
- Provide technical support for the selection, purchase, installation and maintenance of laboratory equipment, reagents and controls
- Provide technical support in development and implementation of laboratory quality management systems
Supply Chain Coordinator
1 Position- AD/5/226/12- (CHS)
Applicant should be holders of at least a Bachelors degree in Supply Chain Management and at least two (2) years experience in the design, implementation, and evaluation of health related supply chain activities.
The holder will provide mentorship to partner organizations in all aspects related to supply chain management of health commodities for program implementation.
Knowledge of and/or experience in managing pharmaceuticals, diagnostics, and other health-related commodities will be distinct advantage. Evidence of computer literacy will be required.
Department of Paediatrics7 Child Health Pace Project:
1 Post-AD/5/227/12- (CHS)
An individual with professionalism, excellent communication skills, strong organizational abilities and capability to work in a team-oriented, culturally diverse and rapidly changing environment.
Qualifications and Registration
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Laboratory Sciences from a recognised University
- Kenya Medical Laboratory Technicians and Technologists Board (KMLTTB) registration
- Computer literacy: Microsoft Word, Microsoft PowerPoint, Excel Spread sheet.
- Understanding of the principles and practice of flow cytometry, haematology, serology, biochemistry and microbiology; experience with corresponding instrumentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Total Quality Management (TQM) in the laboratory setting including ability to write/edit laboratory SOPs, documentation of laboratory processes
- Ability to prepare laboratory reports and work plans
- Minimum of five years of experience in a busy laboratory performing standardized assays using flow cytometry, chemical, haematological and microbiological analyses from patient samples and conducting site assessments
- Have worked at a senior level of management in the laboratory and have high-level problem solving skills and ability to work independently
- Experience with accreditation inspections
- Demonstrated professionalism and confidentiality
- Experience in coordinating and conducting laboratory trainings in ART monitoring, including CMEs and CPD
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task while maintaining accuracy and attention to detail
- Comfortable in a dynamic, rapidly changing, and highly competitive environment
- Able to work effectively with internal and external colleagues and collaborators
- Demonstrate general problem solving skills on identified problems, and follow through with required documentation of corrective action
- Plan and coordinate laboratory training activities
- Write laboratory reports on the various laboratory activities
- Train and mentor laboratory technologists/BSc Medical Lab students in performing ART monitoring tests (flow cytometry, haematological, chemical, serological , diagnosis of TB and other opportunistic infections).
- Carry out site visits for laboratories and monitor quality assurance
- Carry out laboratory tests for HIV ART monitoring using flow cytometry, chemical, haematological and microbiological analyses from patient samples paying attention to quality control/quality assurance concepts
- Supervise laboratory teams in quality assurance, infection prevention and control practice
- Participate in instrument maintenance including troubleshooting as necessary
- Be a team member and demonstrate excellent interpersonal skills, sound judgment, good communication skills, and ability to identify and resolve policy and operational constraints effectively.
The appointment is to begin on 1 October 2012.
This appointment will be on a one year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funds.
A competitive remuneration package will be offered to the successful candidate.
Please note that the positions are full-time and are on a one year contract terms renewable on mutual agreement.
- Applicants should submit seven (7) of the above supporting documents and applications letter.
- Applications and related documents should be forwarded through the applicants’ heads of departments and applicants should state their current designations and salaries and other
- Benefits attached to those designations. They should quote post reference codes as shown for each posts in the advertisement.
- Applicants should also send soft copies of the cover letter, CVs and certificates to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please note that this is a mandatory requirement.
- Applications (Hard copies) should be addressed as per the codes below:-
CHS the Principal, College of Health Sciences, P.O Box 30197-00100, Nairobi.
For More Details, Please Visit Our Web at http://jobs.uonbi.ac.ke
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date-June 8 2012