Business Development Services Progamme Officer Job in Kenya 2012
The Kenya Local Capacity Development Facility – K-LCDF (branded as USTADI) – is a joint initiative of SNV and a Consortium of 20 other capacity development organizations in Kenya.
It seeks to improve the capacity development service environment through a market-embedded approach.
In the beginning, the facility will focus on incubating local solutions in water and agriculture sectors in rural Kenya, with the intention of capturing the learning and up scaling proven innovations to other sectors throughout the country.
The pilot phase is hosted by Act! and the Kenya Community Development Foundation (KCDF) on behalf of USTADI.
In a bid to strengthen the existing team and delivery mechanisms, USTADI is seeking to employ a qualified and dynamic BDS practitioner to support the programme.
The BDS Programme Officer will report to the Programme Manager/Team Leader USTADI and will play a critical role in key technical activities related to the implementation of the Capacity Development Services (CDS) Grant Facility.
The position will coordinate closely with the CDS Market Places and Grants Mechanism Teams in identifying innovative solutions, facilitating and backstopping up-scaling of such innovations through coaching, mentoring and tracking of all program activities supported under the Programme.
Qualifications / Experience
The successful candidate will have proven experience in business management, with a focus on early stage BDS market development approaches and innovative initiatives, promotions and events.
Familiarity with the competitiveness issues is essential.
S/he will have IT and web skills, and demonstrate increasing levels of responsibility and authority, and will be a proven self-starter and innovator.
Requisite qualifications/experience include:
- A first degree (Bachelors) and preferably Master’s Degree in business administration, finance or related field relevant to the position, or equivalent qualification through working experience;
- At least five (5) years private sector development experience in a donor-funded programme, or previous experience in the micro-and small-enterprise sector;
- Knowledge of local institutions (profit and not for profit), professional contacts, and key service providers in the Kenyan private sector;
- Excellent analytical, organizational and problem solving skills;
- Excellent understanding of the rural business environment and value chain facilitation activities;
- Capable of working independently with minimum or no supervision;
- Experience with monitoring and evaluation, or performance assessment audits; and quality reporting.
If you meet the requirements for this position, please submit your application via email to the
(i) detailed CV demonstrating elaborate relevant experience
(ii) motivation letter demonstrating why you qualify for the position
(iii) current remuneration
(iv) Names and contact details of three referees in the professional field.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you will not have been contacted by 30th April 2012, please consider your application unsuccessful.
The deadline for applications is 5.00 pm on Friday 20th April 2012.