Field Agronomist Vacancy: Green Zone Agencies kenya 2012
Green Zone Agencies (GZA) Ltd. is an agribusiness company founded in 2004 as a private-sector company to provide agribusiness development services to small, medium and large scale farmers in Kenya and incorporated under the Companies Act (Cap. 486) in June 2011.
The firm is an inputs and services provider whose core businesses are in agricultural engineering, agronomy, crop protection and agribusiness management/business skills.
GZA’s mission is geared at improving farming by offering top-notch agribusiness solutions for increased income, food security and sustainability.
GZA implements its programs and business through various partners in various regions in Kenya and has its headquarters in Kisumu, Kenya.
GZA recently partnered with USAID under a 2-year USAID-KHCP (US Agency for International
Development — Kenya Horticultural Competitiveness Partnership) Program for Soil and
Water Management Technologies for Improved Productivity and Food Security in Nyanza Province.
The overall goal of the USAID-KHCP Program is to increase rural household incomes and generate employment from growth and sustenance of a highly competitive horticulture sector.
To effectively contribute to this, the program will increase the utilization and/or adoption of improved productivity measures for Kenyan horticulture producers through diversification, improved management practices and processing.
Job Title: Field Agronomist
Reporting to: Projects Coordinator
Primary Working relations: Managing Director, Projects Coordinator, other Agronomists and Monitoring & Evaluation Officer.
Duty Station: Kisumu with frequent travel to field sites.
Job Summary: Your main responsibility will be in provision of GZA’s range of agribusiness inputs and services, to ensure growth of GZA’s core business in soil and water management technologies.
You will also provide after sales service to farmers, production advice and market linkage to our clients through partners within our networks.
Your core responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- In liaison with the other GZA agronomists, establish a coordinated series of demonstration units for various horticultural crops for target farmers ranging from commercial entrepreneurs to smallholder farmers.
- Introduce new soil and water management technologies to farmers in the above-mentioned demonstration sites, which will also serve as a vehicle to share and reinforce Good Agricultural Practices (GAP).
- Provide sustained training and technical assistance (extension services) to smallholder farmers participating in the demonstration units and other field sites.
- Plan for and participate in GZA Field Days to share, showcase and promote successful technologies such as new varieties or production techniques to the wider farming community.
- Plan for and facilitate technical training workshops to share good practices in soil and water management technologies and key crops.
- In liaison with GZA’s Monitoring & Evaluation Officer, participate in conducting baseline surveys, regular monitoring and mid-term and end-term evaluations to document successes, challenges and learning points in GZA’s businesses.
- Write regular monthly, quarterly, yearly and annual reports and submit to the Project Coordinator.
- Undertake other core businesses of GZA, which include but are not limited to: installation of irrigation systems, green houses, fertigation systems, and electronic water management systems; conducting sales of farm inputs and equipment and provision of after sales service.
- Represent GZA in various local and international meetings and technical workshops in the field of agronomy.
- Perform any other relevant duties assigned by the Project Coordinator and/or Managing Director.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Must have a minimum of a Diploma in Agriculture/Horticulture/Farm Management, preferably in Field Crop Agronomy.
- Having good knowledge and practical background in soil and water management technologies will be an added advantage.
- Must have good communication, writing and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated knowledge in management of greenhouses, shadenets, furrow irrigation and water management technologies will be a plus.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years working experience related to the above job description.
- Knowledge of USAID-funded regulations will also be an added advantage.
- Computer literacy is a must.
- Those in possession of a valid driving license incorporating motorcycle category will have an upper hand. Copies of this document will be required for shortlisted candidates.
- Candidates with a background working in management of sweet potatoes, passion fruits and vegetables value chains will have an added advantage
- Ability to work well with others in a team environment.
- Ability to multi-task.
- Ability to use excellent time management skills.
- Ability to work extended hours.
- Ability to pay attention to detail.
- Ability to provide training on good agricultural practices to farmers.
- Female candidates are strongly advised to apply.
If you meet the above qualifications and experiences, kindly send a cover letter (indicating your current and expected salary) and detailed curriculum vitae with your daytime contacts (cell phone number) to The Projects Coordinator, Green Zone Agencies (GZA) by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us latest 12pm on Friday March 23, 2012.
Late applications will not be considered.
Note: Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
NB: Remember to subscribe to get email updates of a new job vacancies.Subscribe down here