Bridge International Academies Senior Legal Counsel Job in Kenya 2012
Position Title: Senior Legal Counsel
About Bridge International Academies
Bridge International Academies is a for-profit startup company revolutionizing education across Africa with a unique business model.
The company runs a large-scale network of low-cost primary schools in Kenya that significantly outperforms other primary schools in the same areas because of our “school in a box” systems.
Our schools profitably deliver this high-quality education for less than $4 per child per month, which enable the schools to cover all their costs and create a profitable central organization at scale.
We have launched 37 schools in Kenya, we will double in size in the next 6 months, and plan to rapidly scale the company to serve more than 1 million students across the continent.
About this position
We have and are continuing to develop one of the most sophisticated approaches to providing affordable education to MILLIONS of children in one of the most challenging environments in the world.
This position within the Finance and Administration department will be responsible for leading conclusively and in a professional and timely manner all legal activities across the company
Key Areas of Responsibilities:
- Build the company’s legal structures and systems and develop a small but strong team to handle legal matters at all levels of the company
- Developing and implementing departmental plans, policies and procedures to guide all legal issues arising in the company.
- Developing and implementing strategies on risk management, litigation, records and property issues in the company
- Participate in drawing and vetting staff and commercial contracts, leases and other legal instruments while working closely with the lands department legal support team
- Participate in negotiations between the company and other parties to assure the company’s legal rights are upheld
- Ensure safe custody and proper management of company instruments such as land titles, seals, stamps, securities and records
- Negotiate disputes and conflicts with third parties, community stakeholders and other public interfacing with the company to ensure settlement out of court as much as this leads to the company’s best interest
- Represent the company and its officers in court in all litigation matters
- Ensure the company is in compliance with all statutory requirements
- Liaise with external lawyers and company secretary to ensure the company’s interests are adequately protected.
- Advisor to the company human resources and other management teams in all legal issues
- LLB degree from a recognized institution
- Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law
- Hold a valid practicing certificate
- Possession of company secretarial skills and exposure to resolution of labour issues and informal community issues will be valuable
- At least 5 years experience in a similar position in middle to senior level management within a corporate or large training institution or a busy and well established legal practice
- Qualified or well exposed arbitrator with proven negotiation skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word and Excel required)
- Strong ability to lead and develop a team of junior legal officers and specialized paralegals
- Must have strong knowledge of customer relations/satisfaction as they relate to legal and commercial concepts
- Works well in an environment with firm deadlines; results oriented
- Performs multiple tasks effectively
- Able to work both independently and as part of a team
- Strong analytical skills required
- Capable of making timely, independent decisions while consulting as appropriate
- Excellent oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Confident, courageous and persuasive in court and during negotiations
- Provides weekly and monthly reports and goes over with department heads and CEO
- Maintains strict confidentiality in all matters
- Opens and closes all legal files
- Responsible for overall coordination of legal issues
- Performs other related duties as assigned
- Possess advanced skills in customer service and provides effective solutions
- Ability to work long hours including weekends
- Passionate about children and education in Africa
- Must be well organized , detail-oriented and personable with a professional demeanor
- Excellent communication skill necessary to interact with other attorneys/lawyers and clients by both telephone and written correspondence
In order to be considered for this position all candidates must register and upload their CV’s on our website at www.bridgeinternationalacademies.com
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
NB: Remember to subscribe to get email updates of a new job vacancies.Subscribe down here