UNOPS Administrative & Finance Assistant Job in Mogadishu, Somalia 2012
UNOPS is known for its ability to implement complex projects in all types of environments around the globe.
In an effort to promote organizational excellence, UNOPS seeks highly qualified individuals for the following position:
Vacancy Code: MASOM1112_243
Post Title: Administrative & Finance Assistant
Post Level: LICA 3 Equivalent to G5
Org Unit: Mine Action Programme – Somalia
Duty Station: Mogadishu, Somalia
Duration: 12 Months (Renewable – subject to availability of funds)
Closing Date: 27th February, 2012
The UN Somalia Mine Action Programme (UNSOMA) is operating under the responsibility of the United Nations Mine Action Service (UNMAS), executed by UNOPS.
The Mine Action Programme in Somalia started in Somaliland (1992-1993,1997-1998 and 1999-present), and Puntland (2003-2005), and has implemented capacity building projects, provided technical assistance for the national Somaliland and Puntland Mine Action Centres and the Police Explosive Ordnance disposal teams.
In South Central Somalia, UNSOMA is expanding the activities in support of the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM).
In complement to the provision of capacity building and support for the AMISOM forces to undertake EOD (Explosive Ordnance) activities in Mogadishu to reduce the large amounts of Explosive Remnants of War (ERW) and stockpiles throughout the city, Police EOD teams are deployed in Mogadishu in concert with an emergency Mine Risk Education initiatives to reach the large numbers of returnees for provision of humanitarian assistance.
Other regional offices will be established during the current year.
UNSOMA has an office in Nairobi to provide managerial and support functions for the Regional Offices in Somalia.
Duties and Responsibilities
Under the direct supervision and daily reporting to the Program Support Officer (PSO), the incumbent will perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in production of monthly payroll.
- Assist in the preparation of monthly attendance sheets for all staff.
- Manage the monthly accounts for private and official telephone bills.
- Assist in the preparation of DSA and other allowances claims for all staff.
- Manage the incoming and outgoing mail system.
- Assist in the management of the operational advances and petty cash accounts.
- Assist in the preparation of the requests for operational advances.
- Assist in the reconciliation of operational advances and petty cash.
- Advise all staff on rules and regulations pertaining to UNOPS administration and finance issues.
- Acts as a liaison between Mogadishu bank and UNOPS office.
- Assist in general administration of the office and any other tasks as required by the PSO.
- Secondary Education
- Specialized/Degree certification in either Administration or Finance.
- 4-5 years Experience
- Experience in administrative and finance procedures
- Experience in filing systems
- Computer literate (MS Office)
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
- Ability to work in a gender-equal and multi-cultural environment
- Good inter-personal and communications skills and the ability to interact readily with UN staff members at all levels
- Good report writing skills
- Ability to interact and liaise with all levels of sources, i.e. local Somali sources, international sources, Transitional Federal Government (TFG) and Ethiopian sources and in particular their information units;
- Ability to work under strict deadlines and under stressful conditions.
- Fluency in written and spoken English is required.
- Good knowledge of colloquial Somali and dialects of Somali clans in South Central Somalia is required.
- Candidates should be skilled in office-related computer applications.
- Experience with a UN Mine Action Centre or Demining NGO will be an advantage.
- Good written communication and report writing skills.
- Candidates with experience in South Central Somalia and knowledge of bordering countries and the dynamics of cross border security related incidents are encouraged to apply.
Qualified candidates may submit their application, including a letter of interest, complete Curriculum Vitae and an updated United Nations Personal History Form (P.11) (available on our website), via e-mail to email@example.com.
Kindly indicate the vacancy number and the post title in the subject line when applying by email.
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a level below the advertised level of the post.
For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org.