Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) Somalia/Kenya Job in Dadaab 2012
NRC has been present in Somaliland since early 2004 and expanded to Puntland in 2006, Mogadishu and Dadaab in 2007.
In a short time NRC established Education, Shelter / Sanitation, Distribution and Camp Management projects for IDPs, refugees and local population in Somalia and Kenya.
NRC also has a coordination office in Nairobi, Kenya that was established in 2006.
Position Vacant: Quantity Surveyor
Reporting to: Shelter Project Manager
Duty Station: Dadaab
Duration of Contract: ASAP to 31st December 2012 (with possible extension)
Main purpose of the position is to ensure effective planning and implementation of the construction activities in Dadaab.
The quantity surveyor will be the focal person to start up and oversee all tendered construction activities and manage all subsequent contracts (contracts management).
He/she will also work closely with the Shelter Project Officers and Assistants in the field to ensure timely delivery of quality construction, and will assist the Project Manager in overall planning and design of (future) projects/activities.
Main Responsibilities & Responsibilities
- Prepare contractors prequalification documents and assist in the prequalification process
- Prepare tender documents for construction works (including technical drawings, specifications of works, accurate Bills of Quantities and conditions of contracts)
- Develop detailed rates for items of work based on the current market conditions
- Prepare detailed Engineers Estimates to assist the tender evaluation process and maintain at all times a high level of confidentiality regarding tender rates
- Monitor progress of activities undertaken in connection with the tendering of construction
- Assure correct measurement of completion of works, recommend for payments, and prepare interim and final payment certificates
- Maintain and update contract files on each construction project
- Review contract claims, analyze and recommend variation orders
- Preparation of documents for final handover and closure of projects
- Make detailed cost and material estimate for all construction activities carried out by NRC in Dadaab
- Provide technical input in the general supervision, progress of construction activities and control of quality of materials and workmanship
- Prepare the monthly cash and payment forecast for activities carried out by contractors
- Produce weekly progress report on the construction activities in Dadaab
- Any other assignment as may be required by the PM or Head of Office
- Degree in Structural/ Civil Engineering, Quantity Surveying or any other relevant education
- At least 3 years of relevant experience
- Proven track record in the process of tendering, contracting and contract administration skills in construction projects, including administration and financial management
- Experience in a humanitarian context is a big advantage
- Proven ability to use MS Office software (especially Word and Excel) and AutoCAD is essential. Experience with other computer programs such as SAP 2000 and Microsoft Project would be an advantage.
- Language: Fluency in written and spoken English is essential; fluency in Somali or Kiswahili is highly desirable.
- Ability to work independently, result oriented, multi-tasking and in a multi-cultural environment and manage conflicting priorities.
- Ability to work and live in an insecure and harsh environment.
- Excellent in communication (spoken and written) skills, including the ability to explain and present technical information
- Keen in ensuring accuracy and precision in all his/her works.
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and qualitative)
- Ability to make quick and smart judgments in recommending alternative solutions within changed ground scenarios
- Experience in training and capacity building in mechanisms at various project levels
- Good understanding of various donors’ requirements
- Goal oriented, with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
Deadline for Applications: 24th February 2012
Applications should be submitted to:
Norwegian Refugee Council,
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Norwegian Refugee Council is an equal opportunity employer, with no discrimination in terms of sex, age, religion, ethnic origin or political affiliation.
However, female candidates are highly encouraged to apply.
Only the short listed candidates will be contacted.