Salaries and Remuneration Commission Jobs in Kenya 2012
Ref No. SRC/01/2012
The Salaries and Remuneration Commission is an independent Constitutional Commission established under Article 230 of the Constitution of Kenya, 2010 with the mandate to set and regularly review the remuneration and benefits of all State Officers and advice the National and County Governments on the remuneration and benefits of all public officers.
In pursuant to the provisions of Article 250 (12) of the Constitution and Section 16(1) of the Salaries and Remuneration Commission Act, 2011, the Commission is seeking applications from qualified candidates for the position of Commission Secretary.
The Secretary shall in the performance of the functions and duties of Office be responsible to the Commission.
The Secretary shall be the Chief Executive Officer of the Commission responsible for implementation of strategies, policies and decisions of the Commission in meeting its objectives.
In addition, the Secretary shall provide advice on the determination of remuneration and benefits in the Public Service.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities Include:
1. Day to day administration and management of the Secretariat including staff.
2. Be the Accounting Officer of the Commission.
3. Under the guidance of the Commission, perform the following functions:
- Advise the Commission on the development of remuneration policy and principles for pay determination for State and Public Offices, and on procedures for determining appropriate remuneration as well as review of remuneration in the Public Service;
- Inquire into and advice on determination of the salaries and remuneration to be paid out of public funds to State officers and other public officers;
- Keep under review all matters relating to the salaries and remuneration of public officers;
- Advise the Commission on the advice to the national and county governments on harmonization, equity and fairness of remuneration for the attraction and retention of requisite skills in the public sector;
- Conduct comparative surveys on the labour markets and trends in remuneration to determine the monetary worth of the jobs of public offices;
- Advise on the determination of the cycle of salaries and remuneration review upon which Parliament may allocate adequate funds for implementation;
- Advise and make recommendations to the Commission on matters relating to the salary and remuneration of a particular State or public officer;
- Advise and make recommendations to the Commission on the review of pensions payable to holders of public offices; and
Requirements for Appointment
- Be a citizen of Kenya;
- Hold a degree from a university recognized in Kenya;
- Have Masters degree in any of the social sciences field i.e Public Administration, Public Management, Human Resources Management, Economics, Statistics, Business Administration or any other relevant qualification from a recognized University;
- Have at least ten years proven experience at management level in either; human resources management, financial management or public management;
- Have proven relevant experience of at least fifteen (15) years, five (5) of which must be at top management level in a large institution in public or private sector;
- Meet the requirement of leadership and integrity as set out in Chapter six of the Constitution and demonstrate compliance to the Public Service Values and Principles as defined by the Constitution;
- Be conversant with public service policies and practices on remuneration systems;
- Have good understanding of Kenyan labour laws; and
- Demonstrate competence and capability in handling remuneration matters.
- Organizational, managerial and analytical skills.
- Integrity and commitment to results.
- Effective communicator, both verbal and written.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Self-motivated person with capacity to work in a demanding, dynamic and fast paced environment.
Duration of Service
The Secretary shall hold office for a term of five (5) years renewable once, subject to satisfactory performance.
Important Information to all Candidates
Deadline for Application: 15th February, 2012.
Qualified candidate should submit their application together with detailed Curriculum vitae, copies of academic and professional certificates and testimonials in a sealed envelope clearly marked at the top “Application for post of Commission Secretary”, and mailed OR delivered to:
Salaries and Remuneration Commission
National Hospital Insurance Fund (NHIF) Building
13th Floor Wing B
P.O Box 30050 – 00100
Salaries and Remuneration Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification of such candidates.