Cesvi Finance and Accounting Manager Job in Kenya
Cesvi Finance and Accounting Manager Job in Kenya 2012
Duration: 6 months (with a 1-month trial period)
Reports to: Regional Administrator
Cesvi, established in 1985, is a secular, independent association, working for global solidarity. In the values which guide Cesvi, the moral principle of human solidarity and the ideal of social justice are transformed into humanitarian aid and development, reinforcing an affirmation of universal human rights.
In the acronym Cesvi, the words “cooperazione e sviluppo” (Cooperation and Development) underline the fact that Cesvi bases its philosophy on the idea of giving the recipients of aid a leading role, working together for their own natural benefit.
It is for this reason that Cesvi is strongly committed to making sure that international aid does not become mere charity, and nor is it influenced by the donors’ self-interest.
CESVI is now seeking a Finance and Accounting Manager to be based in its Nairobi Regional Office, with the possibility of occasional field missions.
The Finance and Accounting Manager is based at the CESVI Regional Office in Nairobi.
The person selected will:
- Oversee and allocate the workload within the Administration and Finance (A&F) Department at the CESVI Regional Office in Nairobi.
- Oversee the operations of the accounting personnel based with CESVI Field Offices in East Africa (Kenya, Somalia and South Sudan).
- Keep track of the banking transactions undertaken by the Regional Office in order to ensure smooth financial flows and to advise Project Managers and other members of staff about the need for any cash and account replenishing.
- Collaborate with the Regional Administrator to ensure a monthly calendar and deadlines for tasks – both within the A&F Department and the Field Offices – aimed at guaranteeing the constant update of books and accounts.
- Ensure that staff in the A&F Department properly collect and file all the documentation supporting payments to and by projects.
- Liaise with the Regional Administrator in order to plan financial reports (interim, final, etc.) and audits falling due with reference to the various projects.
- Carry out accounting and administration duties and assignments.
- Facilitate, support and assist in all internal control mechanisms and audit-related activities.
- Oversee the regular and up-to-date keeping of the staff payroll records.
- Approve the calculation and submission of local tax returns, NSSF and NHIF payments.
- Oversee the calculation and payment of local taxes arising from the in-country remuneration to expatriate staff, where applicable.
- Report to the Regional Administrator on current issues on a weekly basis (or more frequently, on an ad hoc basis, in the case of urgent matters arising unexpectedly).
- Co-ordinate with the Regional Administrator and the Operations Manager the reporting calendar for the projects depending on the Nairobi Regional Office.
- Liaise with Project Managers on a fortnightly basis with a view to monitoring the budgetary expenditure of their projects and to ensure proper cash flow.
- Participate in the selection of new staff for the Administration and Finance Department.
- Co-ordinate regular staff-appraisal exercises within the Administration and Finance Department to be reported to the Regional Administrator.
- Oversee the project archives and making sure that all documentation is kept in good order on the basis of the system agreed between the Regional Office and the Cesvi Headquarters.
- Any other duties assigned by the Regional Administrator.
- Kenyan national
- University degree in Accounting, Finance, or related fields
- Experience (3-5 years) in Accounting and Admin departments (preferably with international NGOs)
- Familiarity with most common accounting software packages
- Proven ability to lead a small team (accountants, cashiers)
- Ability to plan for and meet deadlines, sometimes under pressure
- Ability to grasp and communicate goals and objectives clearly
- Capacity to work independently, with the possibility of long hours.
How to apply
Candidates suitably qualified for this position are invited to submit their CV (including 2 referees) and a COVER LETTER to CESVI, at the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org
The Subject line must read: “Finance Manager”.
Current salary and expected salary should be included in the cover letter.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Closing date for applications is 31st January 2012.
However Cesvi reserves the right to close the vacancy before the above-mentioned deadline if a large number of applications is received and suitable candidates can be shortlisted as a result.