ActionAid International Kenya (AAIK) Job in Mombasa Kenya 2012
ActionAid International Kenya (AAIK) is a member of ActionAid Federation; ActionAid works in more than 40 countries all over the world, in the places where we can make the biggest impact.
We tackle poverty and denial of human rights at the local level, and we challenge the causes behind them locally, nationally and globally.
In Kenya AAIK works in solidarity with women and people living in poverty and exclusion; connecting their voices, sharing ideas, spreading inspiration, campaigning, advocating and formulating public policy to eradicate poverty and ensure social justice.
We are present in at least 16 counties across Kenya and link key international, national and local institutions in favour of the right holders.
We therefore seek to recruit a dynamic and innovative Regional Accountant to be based in Mombasa.
You must be willing to reside in the designated station.
The successful candidates will enjoy flexibility and organizational space while joining an experienced and dynamic staff working alongside women and people living in poverty and exclusion.
Position: Regional Accountant – Coast Region
Functional Unit: Finance
Reporting to: Head of Finance and Team Leader-Region
Supervising: Finance and Administration Assistant
Duty Station: Coast Region
Objective: Responsible for effective financial management for accurate and timely financial information, and ensure effective utilization of organization resources.
Financial and Grants Reporting
- Analyze and Prepare financial reports to ensure timely & accurate financial reports for decision making
- Analyze and circulate to the budget holders the monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annual management reports
- Review donor reports as per specific donor contract requirements and AAIK requirements
- Submission of the donor reports to the Head of Finance, Grants Administrator and Team Leader.
- Co-ordinate internal and external audits in the region
- Respond and follow up & implement audit recommendations
- Develop an updated schedule of audit implementation progress matrix on a quarterly basis to track audit recommendations implementation progress.
- Review of payments before cheques are processed to ensure compliance to AAIK policies
- Review the requisitions/quotations and ensure that they are properly coded
- Review interfaces and post the transactions into the SUN system to ensure accuracy and proper coding
- Reviewing the banks reconciliations ,cash and petty cashbooks
- Review the fixed assets register and ensure it is updated on regular basis
- Development of the annual budget template and guidelines
- Co-ordinate the annual budgeting, forecasting and three year planning and ensure that they are consistent with the guidelines and procedures agreed with AAI
- Provide assistance to the budget holders in the preparation of the detailed budgets
- Review of budgets to ensure that the budgets are consistent with the guidelines and are realistic.
- Consolidate budgets and annual cash flows
- Upload the approved budgets into the SUN system.
- Prepare quarterly staff financing schedule and ensure that the staff salaries are adequately covered.
- Review and consolidate the LRP, Regional office and project cash remittances
- Review cashbooks/petty cashbooks and to ensure that there are sufficient funds to run the regional Office, LRP and the projects within the region
- Maintain and update bank correspondence file to ensure compliance with AAIK banking guidelines
- Support development of project proposal budgets to ensure they are in realistic and in line with the activities in the proposal
- Participation in Inception meetings and interpretation of financial requirements to the implementing staff.
- Review of progress reports and fund accountability statements for specific projects
- Review of donor reporting matrix, financial analysis, and bank reconciliation for respective project bank accounts.
- Review disbursement to partners including reviewing partners reports and documentation before posting in SUN system
- Monitor grants budgets in the region in liaison with the Grants Accountant and Grants Manager from project inception to closure.
- Support project closure activities with financial information to aide in evaluation.
- Carrying out finance induction for new staff and conducting finance training for non finance staff
- Supervision and appraisal of staff to ensure optimal productivity of all staff
- Provide administrative and logistical support to the region to ensure effective flow of information and activities in the region
- Analytical skills, Project management knowledge, Grants management, Capacity development, Performance management, Budgeting & budgetary control, Resource mobilization and monitoring, Documentation, information management and reporting, Stakeholder management, Negotiating; persuasiveness;
- planning and organizing; problem analysis; oral communication; written communication; results orientation; self-development; team-player; pro-activeness; creativity; gender sensitive; group leadership; listening; judgment; coaching.
- A minimum of a Bachelors degree in a business related field.
- Minimum of six (6) years’ relevant work experience with Professional Accounting qualifications (CPA (K) or ACCA) and registration with the relevant Accounting profession bodies.
- Masters will be an added advantage
- Rich experience in programme and projects financial management
- Communication, report writing and analytical skills.
- Proficiency in Use of Computerized Accounting Systems
This Position Profile will be updated at regular intervals to reflect changing work practices or priorities and especially following performance reviews.
Only electronically completed application forms (Download Here) will be accepted and should be mailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The subject line of your email should be REGIONAL ACCOUNTANT-COAST.
The closing date for receipt of application forms is February 3, 2012.
Kindly do not send a detailed CV at this stage as only the information in the application form will be used for initial selection.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
ActionAid is an equal opportunities employer.
Qualified women candidates are encouraged to apply.