Egerton University Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research and Extension) Job Re-Advertisement
Egerton University was founded in 1939 as Egerton Farm School and was upgraded to an Agricultural College in 1950.
In 1986, the Agricultural College became a Constituent College of the University of Nairobi. It was elevated to a University in 1987 through an Act of Parliament.
Since its inception, the University has registered significant expansion in student numbers, academic programmes and physical facilities.
Currently the University has a student population of 15000 and a staff no 1909 and consists of 2 campuses (Njoro and Nakuru Town).
Qualifications and Experience
The candidate should possess the following qualifications and experience:
- Be a Professor or Associate Professor of a recognized University with an earned PhD.
- At least 6 years of experience in senior academic and management positions (at the level of Senior Lecturer and above)
- Ability and leadership skills to effectively coordinate the research function in the University.
- Provision of research and academic leadership.
- Knowledgeable in strategic planning in research and educational development.
- Proven capacity to promote learning, teaching, research and development in a university.
- Knowledgeable in national laws and policies in education.
- Be of highest ethical standards, integrity and professionalism.
- Should have published widely in internationally refereed journals and show evidence of attracting research grants/funds.
Working under the general direction of the Vice Chancellor the successful applicant shall:
- Have the overall responsibility of direction, organization and administration of research programmes in the University.
- Ensure that the University Senate is properly advised in the development of research programmes in conformity to ethical standards and legally recognized professional bodies.
- Ensure effective accountability to the Vice Chancellor for the proper management of the Division of Research & Extension.
- Responsible for promoting and coordinating research, scientific publications, innovation, extension and technology transfer to industry business community.
- Mobilize and solicit financial support for research and community extension through fundraising activities from industry, business companies and donor organizations.
- Maintain collaboration and linkages with both local and international institutions of higher learning for academic research and innovation programmes.
- Coordinate workshops and seminars on outreach programmes on technology transfer.
- Promote knowledge dissemination to meet the needs of the University and the community through publications and exhibitions.
Terms and conditions of Service are performance based and include competitive salary, house
allowance and other allowances.
In addition the Deputy Vice-Chancellor will be entitled to the following benefits:
- Medical cover as per University Medical Scheme
- Leave Allowance
- A Chauffer driven official car
- A gratuity of 31% of basic salary at the end of the contract
The contract for this position will be on a five-year term and the successful candidate shall be eligible for re-appointment upon the expiry of the contract subject to satisfactory performance.
A comprehensive CV that contains details of the current remuneration, names, addresses and e-mail addresses of three referees must accompany the application.
Applications should be sent through registered mail and marked:
“POST OF DVC R&E” addressed to:
The Secretary (Vice-Chancellor)
Egerton University Council
P.O. Box 536-20107
Tel. +254 051 2217810
Those who had applied should not re-apply
The closing date is Friday, January 27th, 2012 at 5.00 p.m.
Canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification.
Egerton University is ISO 9001:2008 Certified