Merlin Jobs in Kenya 2012
Responsible to: Project Coordinator
Staff directly supervised: Health Information Systems Officer and casual data clerks (from time to time)
Relationships internally: All programme and support staff
Relationships externally: MoMS/MoPHS personnel, other governmental and non governmental counterparts, community members
Overall Objective of the Position:
The M&E Officer will establish and implement an effective comprehensive monitoring and evaluation system to progressively monitor project activity implementation, periodically asses the performance outcomes in order to inform our programme performance and impact, and to assist in evaluating the lessons learnt for effective decision making and to put forward effective accountability beneficiary mechanisms in the project.
He or she will oversee the M & E function of the entire program and periodically review to guide project performance.
- Develop and/or strengthen the programme’s monitoring and evaluation frameworks, systems and tools.
- Assist program staff to develop appropriate project performance indicators that are in tandem with the expected goals/objectives.
- Support and coordinate implementation of the monitoring and evaluation systems including documentation of achievements versus targets and in general tracking and measurement of programme performance.
- Support and facilitate the planning, coordination and monitoring of impact assessments including surveys.
- Coordinate data collection, compilation, analysis and dissemination.
- Liaise and network with other stakeholders including MOH, national and international NGOs, UN agencies and donors on M&E matters and represent Merlin at external M&E forums as required.
- Identify training and capacity building needs of programme and MoH teams and facilitate necessary M&E training.
- Establish and implement lessons learning mechanisms including documenting and disseminating best practices and lessons learnt.
- Assist in ensuring the timely preparation and submission of quality reports including donor reports.
- Undertake any other duties assigned by the line manager/ supervisor.
- A Degree in Public Health, Applied Epidemiology, Health Information Systems (Medical statistics) or equivalent
- Fluent English speaker and writer.
- Management capacity: ability to organize and plan
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation methodologies.
- Knowledge of database design and use
- Knowledge of data processing and analysis
- Knowledge of MS Excel/ Access, Epi info or similar data analysis programmes
- Knowledge of sampling and questionnaire design
- Knowledge of anthropometric assessment techniques as well as nutritional survey
- Ability to work in a team
- Training experience/capacity to run M&E trainings as well as HIS
- Professional initiative, commitment and motivation
- Previous work experience with INGOs in M and E positions
- Experience in emergency and development programming
Please note, on submitting your application, you are agreeing to Merlin holding and using the information that you have given for the purposes of recruitment and employment – should an offer be made.
In order to process your job application, it may be necessary for your application to be sent to the Country Director (in the country you are applying for) for consideration. If you do not agree with this, please state so when applying.
How to Apply
All applications should be sent to:
Merlin, Nairobi Office,
P.O Box 3350 – 00200,
or email to: email@example.com
Application deadline is 5:00pm on Monday, 23rd January 2012.
Please note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.