UNDP Amkeni Wakenya Institutional Development Consultant Jobs Vacancy in kenya 2012
Post Title: Institutional Development Consultant
Consultant: Short-Term Consultant (Individual Contractors)
Agency / Project Name: UNDP Kenya / Amkeni WaKenya Facility
Amkeni WaKenya is a UNDP led facility set up to promote democratic governance in Kenya.
The name “Amkeni WaKenya” is inspired by the second stanza of the National Anthem that calls upon all Kenyans to arise and actively participate in nation building.
Amkeni WaKenya was established in July 2008, then known as the “Civil Society Democratic Governance Facility (CSDGF)” and works through Civil Society Organizations in the areas of democracy, human rights, governance reforms, and the integration of a rights based approach in social and economic reforms in Kenya.
Participating development partners include the Royal Netherlands Embassy (RNE), the Embassy of Sweden Embassy of Norway, the European Union and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).
At the time of inception Amkeni WaKenya operated on the basis of three pillars, namely grant making, capacity building and learning & knowledge management; however these pillars have now been modified and are known as programme delivery methodologies.
1. Objectives of the Assignment
To enhance institutional development capacities of Amkeni grantees with regard to governance, strategic management, project management, gender mainstreaming, human rights-based management approaches, lobbying and advocacy.
2. Scope of Work and Responsibilities
The scope of work for this ToR shall include but not be limited to:
I. Participate in periodic or on-demand review of Amkeni WaKenya capacity assessment tools.
II. Administer capacity assessment tools on CSOs (conduct interviews, review CSO documents, visit partner offices and record observations)
III. Analyze data, compile and produce capacity assessment reports
IV. Draft concept papers for capacity building interventions that respond to the capacity gaps highlighted by the capacity assessments when called upon to do so
V. Facilitate capacity building interventions under guidance of the Capacity Building Specialist
VI. Administer evaluation tools with respect to capacity building interventions and analyze the findings of those evaluations
VII. Compile and submit reports on capacity interventions
VIII. Participate in reviews of capacity building interventions
IX. Draft training/capacity development materials
X. The Assignment will at times entail travel outside Nairobi at short notice
- The Consultant shall produce capacity assessment reports and capacity intervention reports (for capacity building activities they have facilitated).
- Submission of concept papers containing designs of capacity building interventions
- Successful delivery of capacity interventions using participatory methods; e.g. conducting a participatory training workshop, providing training materials.
- Submission of quality reports documenting the interventions.
- Submission of quality evaluation tools and reports
- Submission of quality draft training materials
The Consultants shall be reporting to the Capacity Building Specialist in Amkeni WaKenya Facility.
5. Duration of Assignment, Duty Station and Expected Places of Travel
The Consultants will be contracted up to December 5th 2012. Some travel outside Nairobi might be required during the duration of the assignment.
6. Consultant Presence Required on Duty Station/UNDP Premises
Consultants will work from Amkeni WaKenya or any other location as may be called upon
7. Qualifications, Skills & Experience
The Consultant selected will have the following expertise and qualification:
- Minimum – Masters University Degree in Arts, Law, Human Rights or equivalent
- 4 years’ experience in institutional capacity development interventions targeting civil society organizations in Kenya or in East African Region, with due regard to governance, strategic management, project management, gender mainstreaming, human rights-based management approaches, lobbying and advocacy
- Good knowledge of civil society organizations in the democratic governance sector in Kenya or East Africa
- S/he shall have solid practical experience in carrying our capacity assessments and evaluation of training activities
- Excellent facilitation and training skills
- Excellent report writing skills
- Experience in undertaking similar assignments in Kenya
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
10. Application Procedure
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their applications with the subject clearly marked as follows: Amkeni WaKenya- Institutional Development Experts
Please complete a current P11 form, CVs (3 pages Maximum per CV) containing a comprehensive profile of similar or comparable consultancies and referees to:
firstname.lastname@example.org to reach us on or before 19thJanuary 2012.
The full Terms of Reference (TOR) and requirements can be viewed by visiting the UNDP website:
www.ke.undp.org/index.php/procurements and the Amkeni WaKenya website: