Reports To: Internews Europe Director of Programmes
Deadline: January, 8th, 2012
Location: Nairobi (Kenya)
Duration: Nine (9) months, February 01 – September 30, 2012
The purpose of Big Picture Digital Journalism is to strengthen African journalists’ capacities to use crowdsourcing approaches to leverage citizen participation and increase the representation of local voices and perspectives through both traditional and new media channels.
The participants in the action will be from Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Central African Republic and Cote d’Ivoire. Trainings of trainers will target selected journalism trainers which will then help spread knowledge to local journalists.
In addition the action will support crowdsourced journalism projects through small grants and mentoring. This will support the use of participatory information gathering practices to promote transparency and accountability, social justice and participate in improving the delivery of basic services.
Big Picture Digital Journalism aims to support the use of ICTs, which empower journalists but also CSOs and communities themselves in the form of cheaper bottom up channels that enable peer-to-peer production and distribution of information.
Journalists will be supported in the realization of projects that leverage citizen participation through ICTs in order to enhance the information ecology across wide range of social issues.
The project will build skills among journalists’ trainers, support them in the delivery of in-country trainings and mentor the development of three crowdsourced journalism projects.
Scope of works:
The Project Director is responsible for the development, management, (programmatic and financial) and coordination of Internews Europe’s Big Picture Digital Journalism project.
- Overall Project Management: provide leadership and direction for the implementation of all project activities ensuring that the project’s goals are achieved while improving effectiveness and maximizing impact;
- Team Management: Direct the efforts of a team of crowdsourcing experts, new information technologies experts and trainers in order to assure that high quality standards of professional training and project support are delivered according to project commitments;
- Manage relations with project partners and beneficiaries: negotiate and manage contracts, supervise and monitor the implementation of activities, ensure smooth communication with all parties involved ;
- ToT and Trainings: Manage the selection process to identify partner organisations and participants in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda and Francophone Central African Republic and Cote d’Ivoire. Design, organize and conduct trainings of trainers. Help design, organise and supervise trainings for journalists and bloggers in the target countries.
- Project Contest/Support/Mentoring: Manage the contest, identify jury members, follow-up and support selected projects through all phases of their implementation and help establish sustainability of projects by targeted capacity building, network building and project promotion.
- Community platform management: Manage implementation, animate and editorially contribute to online platform in order to capitalize on knowledge created during the project and allow participants and other interested parties to continue sharing knowledge beyond the life time of the project;
- Content Monitoring: ensure that on-line content is in line with professional standards of journalism and editorial guidelines;
- Financial Oversight: ensure that financial and administrative processes are controlled and compliant with organisational and donor requirements; assist partners as needed in financial reporting;
- Coordination of project activities and partners: work closely with Internews Europe project directors working in the same field and Internews Network regional management, media partners and institutions, and relevant organisations to collaborate and leverage resources where possible;
- Official Correspondence: prepare or oversee the production of all official communications, briefings and reports to donors and partners as required;
- Representation: represent Internews Europe at all external events including meetings, roundtables and conferences with government officials, partner organizations and other stakeholders.
- Communications: work closely with Internews Europe’s Headquarters staff including the Direction of Programmes, the Financial and Administration Departments and the dedicated Project Associate
- Other logistics and administration tasks to be determined in the inception phase.
- Fluency in spoken and written French and English.
- Proven track record in managing and producing crowdsourced news and citizen journalism projects.
- Track record in implementing Ushahidi, FrontlineSMS, mobile technology and familiarity with ways to leverage social media.
- Experience of innovative media and communication platforms.
- Extensive experience working in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- Very good working knowledge of the key sector leaders in the field of crowdsourced journalism.
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills to liaise authoritatively with figures from the media and donor communities and host governments.
- Sensitivity to cross-cultural dynamics in the work place.
- Ability to work collaboratively as part of a team in a challenging and a highly fluid environment.
- An understanding of the vision/mission, core values and objectives of Internews.
- Understanding of and passion for the area of innovative journalism approaches.
- Excellent communication and reporting skills, both written and oral.
- Excellent time management and the ability to prioritize a heavy workload under pressure.
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills.
- Willingness to work in demanding, stressful, and, at times, dangerous situations under difficult living conditions with respect for basic security rules.
- Psychological resilience and a sense of humor.
- Relevant university degree.
- Prior experience working in Kenya, Uganda, Rwanda, Central African Republic and/or Ivory Coast
- Practical skills in web design, information visualization and information architecture.
- Practical skills in web integration, web development, mobile platforms.
To Apply: Please send your application file (resume in English of no more than 3 pages, motivation letter and the names and contacts of three referees) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Reference to mention: PD-KY+(name)
Deadline for applications: January 8th, 2012