MINISTRY OF STATE FOR PLANNING, NATIONAL DEVELOPMENT AND VISION 2030 MACROECONOMIC ADVISOR JOBS OPPORTUNITY IN KENYA
The Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030 with the Assistance of
UNDP under it’s Support to Kenya Vision 2030 Project wishes to recruit a Macroeconomic Advisor to be located in the Ministry’s headquarters.
Terms of Reference
The Advisor’s main responsibilities will be to provide advice, support and build local capacity in
the formulation and implementation of macroeconomic policies, research and the development
and maintenance of macro modelling in the ministry. Specifically, the Advisor shall:
• Provide expert advice as required by the Ministry on macroeconomic issues and their
implications on national development and planning policies.
• Liaise with the Macro Working group institutions including Central Bank of Kenya, Kenya
National Bureau Statistics, Kenya Institute for Public Policy Research and Analysis, Ministry
of Finance and Kenya Revenue Authority and other local stakeholders to provide regular
briefs on economic issues, prospects and risks.
• Work closely with relevant government institutions and development partners to produce
regular policy briefs and reports, policy background papers and other topical issues.
• Provide technical expertise in the overall development and application of macroeconomic
models in the ministry including the T21.
• Provide expert oversight to the production of quarterly, annual and medium term
projections and reports for use in policy formulation and national planning process.
• Provide technical leadership to Ministry’s research on key macroeconomic issues and their
• Provide expert and leadership in the analysis of regional and international/global
economic and social issues on their impact on the Kenyan Economy.
• Assist in identification of policies aimed at integration of climate change, adaptation and
mitigation of its effects on national development planning.
• Build capacity of Macro planning Directorate staff on macroeconomic analysis, economic
forecasting and modelling.
• Advice the Minister on a regular basis.
• Capacity of Macro Planning Directorate staff built in the areas of macroeconomic
analysis, modelling and forecasting.
• A revised macroeconomic framework by the first year of the contract.
• Quarterly, annual and medium term projections and reports on key macroeconomic issues.
• Regular policy briefs, issue papers, policy background papers and reports produced.
• Research papers on key macroeconomic issues.
• Support the development and implementation of T 21 Model for Long Term Planning in
• The advisor shall report to the Permanent Secretary through the Economic Planning
Secretary in the Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030.
• The advisor shall on a day to day basis work with the Macro Planning Directorate.
• The Advisor shall prepare a concept paper, including work plan within four (4) weeks of
commencement of assignment.
• The advisor will prepare monthly progress reports as well as quarterly reports outlining
progress, constraints and recommendations.
• The advisor shall provide an end of assignment report outlining achievements
shortcomings, and proposals for the way forward.
Qualification and Experience
• PHD in Economics, from a recognized university with a strong bias in the area of
• Minimum of 15 years professional experience, specializing in macroeconomic analysis,
research, modelling and forecasting as evidenced by publications in referred journal.
• Experience in working with government and development partners
• A thorough understanding of government statistics, national accounts, balance of payments
and monetary statistics.
• Vast knowledge of data compilation.
• Have a clear understanding of the system of national Accounts (SNA) and its linkages to input – output tables and Social Accounting Matrix (SAM).
• Knowledgeable in econometrics packages e.g. E-views, STATA etc.
• Ability to conceptualize problems and to identify and implement solutions expeditiously.
• Ability to proactively seek and recommend sound policy initiatives.
• Demonstrated ability to transfer skills and knowledge to others.
• Good communication, negotiation and diplomatic skills.
Terms and Conditions
The successful applicant for this job will serve on a three year contract renewable subject to
The salary will be in accordance with UNDP scales.
Applicants to submit the following documents
• Application letter with copies of certificates, testimonials, and other supporting documents.
• Current Curriculum Vitae.
• Names of three referees and their contacts.
• Day time telephone number.
All applications should be addressed to:
Ministry of State for Planning, National Development and Vision 2030
P.O. Box 30005-00100
Or hand delivered to Treasury Building, 3rd Floor, Room 303 before 22/12/2012